biggest fear when you was a young climber?

vduben

my biggest fear on spikes is chunking down past branch wcuts, when you can't see where a spike is going. spikes are cool.

but then i mainly do dismantles.

Fridays tree was a bit scary when i stopped to think.

the tree used to be vertical but it slipped a foot or so down the banking. it had stopped itself, a tie back line and take it easy.

Jamie

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spiking is definatly the biggest fear for me. i find looking up and relising how much further you have left to go is worse. just keep ploding on upwards and it makes a nice surprise when your at the top.

one of my fears is of people expecting to much of me. i havent been climbing that long and hate the thought of someone taking me on and i cant do what they expect like big big trees.

one of my fears is of people expecting to much of me. i havent been climbing that long and hate the thought of someone taking me on and i cant do what they expect like big big trees.

Your confidence will grow Jay, one thing you will see is that, because you don't see a lot of others working, you have it in your mind that they will be much better than you. When in reality, they aren't, they have just as much to learn are just as apprehensive as you as to how good they are.

You will find most are eager to share their knowledge and skills and if there is something they can pass onto you they are more than happy to do so and believe it or not, there will be something you can pass onto them. :icon14:

it fell where i wanted it too.

The boss and I went to inspect it and it seemed ok. The bark was intact. i pulled a wee flake of bark and half the tree came with it. you can just see the sound wood round the backside of it. It was less than 2 foot from a building and we used 2 winches, one to pull it and one to hold the butt.

Jamie

Ive just started climbing, on tuesday, at first my biggest fear was changing anchor points, and trusting it, but thats getting a little better now.

I spiked up a 50ft pole yesterday, and that was the scariest thing ever, the first 10 - 15 foot was very difficult, my spikes kept slipping etc, but once i got the hang of it at 20ft, i just went flying up.

I was always scared that i would accidently flip my pole belt over the top of the pole or cut it with the saw when I was chogging blocks off! I was lucky to have been gotten hold of a really good pair of Bashlin spikes when I started so i've always been quite confident climbing on them.

Must have been looking over the climber in the next tree and seeing how skinny his anchor point..****, U mean I got to do tha'???

One thing that used to make my heart sink was looking over to the climber in the next tree and seeing that he was half finished on his tree and i was still struggling up mine! (normally having started at the same time!). Sometimes I thought i'd never get good/quick enough to keep up with my collegues!