Logs..do you sell by weight, or volume

DN22 Gardening

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A cubic metre of loose beech logs weighs 700kg roughly when green

When seasoned 350kg . If the customer wants green it will be £80 for 700 kg if he wants it seasoned it will be £80 for 350kg or 1 cubic metre.

If the customer has a moisture meter which he likes to wave around when your stood in 12" of snow or wants 6" logs or wants it all stacked in the far corner of the garden he can get it somewhere else :lol: Anybody selling logs works hard for their money we all take too much abuse, my best customers used to be in the game and realise how much work goes into it. Its time fair trade spread to the uk

Ok, wasnt sure about saying about my day, but here you go. About the worst log related issue ive had;

Previous tree customer rings me and asks how much my logs are. Told him £60/ bag delivered.

He told me he had been using another local guy (who is renown for selling fresh split stuff) and said he preferred ash, so i explained the benifits of my logs, including time seasoned, how long since it was cut, rough sizes of the logs, size of the bag (0.72cu M) etc, etc. Spent 10 minutes or so on the phone with him.

He said he would "give me a go" with a bag.

I duely delivered a bag on tuesday night. He came out as i arrived and was there the whole time i was tipping the bag on the path, chatting away but never passed any comment on the logs. After tipping off he went in the house for his cheque book and wrote the cheque on the bonnet of my truck. then started barrowing his logs up the garden path as i was leaving.

TODAY at 1.00pm he rings me in what i can only describe as a temper, saying my logs are really appauling quality and no where near the amount he got from the other guy.

After 5 or 10 minutes if him ranting at me, and not giving me chance to say much, he said he "would leave it up to me, he didnt want to fall out with me but wanted to prove his point" i was about to blow my stack and he said, "if you dont believe me, come and have a look"

At the moment im still fuming and dont know if i should ignore him, or go down there with a moisture meter and have it out with him, and even take the logs back.

Contray to popular belief, under UK Law, (The weights and measures act) firewood sellers are not allowed to sell logs by weight. The reason is to protect you the consumer, and this is to do with the moisture content of logs. Simply put, fresh (green) wood weighs more than dry (seasoned) wood. Logs can be more than 60% water when freshly cut!

Any business who sells logs by weight, or “Van/Trailer/Pick-up loads” has not met the requirements of UK law, & knowingly or not, they are not giving you the best deal for your money

Sounds about bob on too me :)

If I sell mine (so very rarely) I do it by the "fill your truck, and we will fettle a price" method ;)

Sam

(Hope you dont mind me using your website Lindisfarne Charcoal)

Also, if they question the volume, I always say 4 bucketloads from the tractor. That is the standard we sell at. They can either accept it or go somewhere else. We don't have enough wood to sell to fart around with picky people. We will always run out mid winter. Then that's yer lot.

Ok, wasnt sure about saying about my day, but here you go. About the worst log related issue ive had;

Previous tree customer rings me and asks how much my logs are. Told him £60/ bag delivered.

He told me he had been using another local guy (who is renown for selling fresh split stuff) and said he preferred ash, so i explained the benifits of my logs, including time seasoned, how long since it was cut, rough sizes of the logs, size of the bag (0.72cu M) etc, etc. Spent 10 minutes or so on the phone with him.

He said he would "give me a go" with a bag.

I duely delivered a bag on tuesday night. He came out as i arrived and was there the whole time i was tipping the bag on the path, chatting away but never passed any comment on the logs. After tipping off he went in the house for his cheque book and wrote the cheque on the bonnet of my truck. then started barrowing his logs up the garden path as i was leaving.

TODAY at 1.00pm he rings me in what i can only describe as a temper, saying my logs are really appauling quality and no where near the amount he got from the other guy.

After 5 or 10 minutes if him ranting at me, and not giving me chance to say much, he said he "would leave it up to me, he didnt want to fall out with me but wanted to prove his point" i was about to blow my stack and he said, "if you dont believe me, come and have a look"

At the moment im still fuming and dont know if i should ignore him, or go down there with a moisture meter and have it out with him, and even take the logs back.

i would go back, collect all the logs and leave.

also i would tell him that i have banked the cheque and advise that he stops the cheque, which will cost him money

oh , you dont bank the cheque cos that will cost you

i dont need customers like that, neither do you

his aim is to get the load discounted ( been there done it...3 times, no more) now i would rather remove produce from site