Rigging technique ??

Dean Lofthouse

Dean could you not just throw lots of tyres at the base of the tree in the drop zone and take the discs off with a vertical speed line on the same stem?

i done it not long ago it worked quite well, as i was taking thin discs off i put a v cut either side of the disc so i could choke it with a tape sling then shakled it to the zip line and pushed them off.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thats my option robert if this wont work :thumbup1:

Peter, what I was intending to do was choke the skyline where it runs through the fork in the supporting trees, then tension from both anchor points so in effect, I will be pulling the trees apart, if you get my drift.

Then whatever droop there will be in the middle of the line once loaded will help the angles to get the loading straight down the stems of the two supporting trees

So you are effectively guying the anchor trees, like a mini skyline.

I think it would work, but there is still a lot of unknown quantities, one unforseen force acting on one anchor point will destroy the whole system. If you can get 2 guy lines on each anchor tree that would help.

slice and shove mate onto a dumpy bag of leaves and sawdust. Slice at an angle, so many folk cant see by doing discs horizontally and then wrestling them off, get the biggest saw you can lift, choker your rope so you sit back and slice off at say 60 degree angle let them fall away easy peasy, they can be as little as an inch thick if you want, this also keeps the sawdust all in the one place and not in a 20 feet radius around you.:001_cool:

So you are effectively guying the anchor trees, like a mini skyline.

Exactly Peter...

I'm actually wanting the middle section of the line to droop in the so the angle of force is better and the pulley will naturally fall in the middle

There will be absolutely no shock loading and loads will be around the weight of my groundy, to lift off and slowly lower the rings.

Theres a stone monumental gate underneath and all sorts of walls with stuck on pottery and new tarmac. I have though about dumpy bag Stevie but there is no room at all for any bounce

Haha, that would be a good solution to the problem, the tree is next door and is a freebie (parents) :001_rolleyes:

I hate these kind of jobs, they seem to have a habbit of being the most complicated or go wrong leaving you with mud on your face. Normally you'd just give a high quote but in this situation you can't:sneaky2:

As the saying goes, do someone a favour, do yourself a misfavour!!

this may sound daft but recently we took down a large ash in which we had a small drop zone , as we were using a 28 meter lift platform from the neighbouring car park we set down a load of tyres and dropped some quite large lumps down onto them causing no dammage to the tarmac at all , you can also use tyres against walls to ensure that no dammage is caused by accident .

is it not possible to snatch down as low as poss then chog off remaining onto crash mats; the shorter the pole gets the more control and accuracy you have with the discs?

As least if you do bust smthg its only the folks you will have to answer to ;)

You will be putting some pretty hefty forces on those anchor trees. Personally I would use a seperate lowering system on each tree and drift the sections. The force on the ancor pionts would be roughly half compared with what your suggesting . You could add a tag line to guide them down.

Alternatively, you could have a long rope with a pulley attached to one tree and your lowering line secured to the other running through the pulley. This would give you a moveable anchor piont and exert less force on the anchor trees. That would only work if the 2 trees are significantly taller thanand pretty close to the tree to be removed