Method Statements an insult to intelligence

Dean Lofthouse

So why do we do training and qualify if you have to talk step by step through your actions like a complete and utter idiot ??

Because we can't be trusted to get on and do what we do unless every little step is accounted for. Also creates a job for some jobsworth if he thinks you've stepped out of line and can then wave a piece of paper at you. You'll then be interrogated by a committee/quango specially created for that sole purpose.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand how you feel dean. But try to make it a little more enjoyable seen as though it is a requirement. Do state every step as if they are an idiot. Do state what risks there are within each step. And do state what can be done to avoid or minimize any risks.

For example.

Trained operatives wearing correct ppe will lift the wood and put onto back of truck.

Risks. Operative could incur injury by lifting something too heavy.

Truck will be parked as close as possible so as to minimize the work load on operative.

Pieces to be lifted will be cut with a chainsaw by an operative wearing correct ppe, into pieces suitable for lifting.

Etc etc.

I had to do one for a tree survey.

It basically said that I was going to wander around looking at trees and if I hurt myself(in the process of walking around looking at trees) so badly that I couldn't drive home I'd call an ambulance.

I still can't work out a sensible reason why someone wanted me to write that down.

Somebody once joked that we will have to risk assess the process of writing a risk assessment. Unfortunately it's not a joke, it is already happening - especially with tree surveys.

On quite a few occasions I have planned to do a tree a certain way then changed after starting the job

For example, I went on site to dismantle a tree and ended up being able to fell it as the wind changed direction.

It is nothing more than you supplying the customer with the means to haul your ass through the courts should the unthinkable happen.

The risk assessment should cover the job adequately

I still think MS's are an insult to your intelligence and that of everyone involved

It depends who's reading it.

Some of my clients who have, at first, been the most pernickity and awkward about everything being just so, are now some of my most preferred customers, because they leave us to get on with the job.

On the other hand, sometimes its an endless paper trail that no-one will read.

Sometimes they do read it and check up on the information that you supply, as was the case today.

I have done a very profitable job today for a new client, tree pruning from a mewp, on a commercial site.

After being given an order for the job, I sent in a M S in advance without being asked, which took only 5 minutes to adapt from a previous one from another job.

This shaved half an hour off the site induction and H&S process this morning to allow us to get on with the job.

Work manager was delighted we were ahead of the game, and is recommending us for further work.

Write your M S to take account of constantly changing conditions and then you can change your work method as conditions and risks change.

:sneaky2::001_smile:

QUOTE: " Im off to make a brew now

I will pick up the kettle, place under the tap, turn on the tap and fill kettle to required level taking care not to spill, turn off the tap and place kettle on the base, boil kettle and pour hot water onto teabag in cup taking care not to spill or over fill. Leave to brew for 60 econds and put in some milk, blow before sipping tea "

Actually Dean, I think you'll find that you should let the tea brew for approximately two minutes and then remove the tea bag before adding milk and stirring. :001_rolleyes:

Pfft.... with tea making skills like that, no wonder it takes you so long to fill out a simple piddly lil 'ol method statement! :sneaky2:

Edited by Gnarlyoak
added quote

So why do we do training and qualify if you have to talk step by step through your actions like a complete and utter idiot ??

Basically it,s a bill of quantities and allows them to decide which company they are going to use

ie 1 might say fell it

1 might say dismantle

1 might say use a mewp

I know which of those i would choose

Also if they do not check what your doing and that your qualified and working to Industry guidance ect and something went wrong the guy that authorised the job is in for a right kicking

This is 1 reason we try to avoid contractors as we are responsible for what goes wrong:blushing: even though we are not there:thumbup:

When I speak to a client about a job I tell them I will provide a written quote and If they agree to the job I will provide them with an agreement of work document. That just confirms what work will be carried out. But I don't go into the step by step details of how am going to do the job.

Yes I tell the client that tree A will be felled and tree B will be sectioned but if the job specs change on the day I try and let the customer know.

But I've not had any dealing with big company's though.