Timber truck needed

Squaredy

its 16 miles i believe but is different depending on weather its an ag vehicle or tractor

also was the van registered ag or plant that would be the problem if it wasn't

the van was not reg as ag or plant just normal tax i was highlighting the rules given out for using red diesel which was 1k only laughable i know but thems the rules:thumbup1:

Hi Lindisfarnecharcoal, that's fine, I have had some helpful replies, and maybe one or two leads. The questions about red diesel on the road are interesting ones and seem to keep coming up. I recently bought a book entitled "Agricultural Vehicles on the Road" by Mike Braithwaite, who apparently is the UK's leading expert on the matter. I haven't read it all yet, but as far as I can see you can only use red on the road up to a maximum of 1 mile when travelling between two pieces of land owned (or rented) by you or your employer. Now I have asked a few farmers about this, and frankly it is nonsense to suggest they even come close to complying, and everyone I ask tells me a different story. I assume that if I buy an ag registered 4X4 truck this rule will apply to me (which is fine), but would anyone like to correct me on this?

Yes Squardey, there are rules. If the vehicle is registered as a "limited use" forestry vehicle, as such it requires not mot, is entitled to free road tax, providing it is insured. You can drive 1.5km on public highways between your sites & do that on red diesel.

Registering a vehicle as limited use is straight forward enough. Fill in the paperwork, send it along with a copy of your business details, showing the woods you work & basically showing them that you're a legit trading outfit with genuine reason for changing taxation class of your vehicle, & you shouldn't have any bother.

Take the mickey, or bend the rules, get caught & you'll be either in a very grey area, so make sure you're a bright spark with an ability to talk you way out of anything, or, expect a big fine & possibly loosing your vehicle.

Hope that helps.

Is anyone selling their ag registered 4x4 truck? I need something with a carrying capacity of 4 tons or so, possibly one of the bedfords, but preferably something a bit more up to date and easier to drive. If it has a meaty crane fitted that is great, but if not I will get one fitted. I have maybe £4000 to £6000 to spend. I understand the Layland Daf army trucks are good, but they never seem to be ag registered.

I will need it to do road speeds occasionally, so tractors are out. Any offers?

I know a man who has a Dodge/Renault 4x4 for sale,its a 1990 i think,looks a strong beast,i know little more but could get his number for you :001_smile:

O/T sorry to butt in here, but message for Lindisfarnecharcoal, did you get my pm to you last night, I have a feeling something may not be working correctly, I have sent 3 pm's in last 24hrs, but my sent messages say none. Once again sorry for the intrusion, CJ

O/T sorry to butt in here, but message for Lindisfarnecharcoal, did you get my pm to you last night, I have a feeling something may not be working correctly, I have sent 3 pm's in last 24hrs, but my sent messages say none. Once again sorry for the intrusion, CJ

Yes Ralph, I've replied this morning,

Many thanks.

That normally means the PM box of the person you are PMing is full.