Bench Press

Mark Bolam

Cheers for support mark :) I'd imagine a bodyweight bench for reps you would do very well at tho,being 125kg I suck at that comp haha

Bench shirts are really designed as an injury prevention tool in the early days to help lower chances of pec or shoulder tear or rupture

if you got a single ply one and used it only for flat bench mayb twice a month I'd see no foul play,I use It for big heavy singles and it does give a slight advantage,if I use it for high rep worK like 6reps upwards. It actually is great for streasing the pecs into new growth as they are handling a weight they normally wouldn't use.

They do take a bit of getting used to tho and require a differenbar groove when pressing upward

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be so anal lol but knurling is actually the scored in criss crossed grip part on the bar.The part you refer to Mark is simply called the collar

it's been a year plauged with hard jobs and nasty injuries dave so not hoping for much other than to just make it to the comp haha

it is indeed an open comp however there are the usual weight catergories.

Competiion is a push and pull and also a bodyweight bench for reps comp for fun aswell.Competition is raw so belt only no equipment

I train equipped (bench shirt and squat briefs) and un equipped.I only started using a shirt after my pec tear,but to be fair I only gained 34lbs on my bench from it

just put up a 192kg bench for three tonite and last week hit 297kg deadlift for two and nearly a very close third

so numbers shouldn't be that bad

please dont tell me you bench that weight without a spotter!!! so your gottta be looking for 202 for a single on the bench and a 305 on the dead very respectable weight mate wish the comp was closer all the best ,let us know how you get on.

Aye I Always use a spotter my little training buddy,he's only 16 stone but his numbers ain't far behind me so I trust him with helping me out of sticky situations

nearly dropped bar on myself last nite due to tennis elbow I'm losing all gripping power in right hand due to the pain.I hope it heals in time I'm trying everything to stay away from a cortisone injection.Got an infction of the trachea at moment aswell

talking of grip mate, have you ever had a go with the captains of crush grippers !! sounds like after the comp you could do with a rest , i allways used to get little injuries just before a comp how long do you cycle your training before a comp i used to be about 8 weeks , towards the end of the 8 weeks although i would be stronger the repitition would take its toll on my joints . anyway good luck mate

I can close number 3 which is 280lbs I think for good four reps with nice one scone pause holding it.I just can't close number four yet.I want to get on there official list of people who can close the big ones

learnt I can open a can of Stella with my hand aswell by squeezing it last nite my mate bet me a tenner I couldn't do it haha.burst the top clean off the sucker.

I usually cycle off for a month before a compe let everything rest,this is first time tried 8week run up to it and I think I've overtrained,had some big planting jobs on tho so brayin in stakes all day probably did most damage to my elbow

sure blinking sucks,it's only time it's stuck around for more than few weeks

had nice night of good mornings and weighted hypers tnite great lower back pump

awsome, had a guy who used to compete with us you may know him lane snook he could close no 3 grippers each hand same time, he was a good shot putter too ,mates with geoff capes who insedently my dad used to compete against as a school boy in atheletics, any way totaly derailing from the topic sorry.