Man fined for drowning squirrel

High Scale

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a trained level 3 swift water rescue technician and thus know a tad about drowning and the physics behind it. Its instant the minute you breathin. Yes i am en expert on it :001_tt2:

Surely the cause of death in drowning is asphyxia? It takes several minutes to become unconscious and up to ten for brain death.

So you maybe hold your breath till you can’t any more (3 to 5 mins) becoming ever more panic ridden then you take a last lung full of water.

Not a pleasant way to go.

Nitrogen is the best way of humanely killing

Place the squirrel or rat in an airtight container and inject pure nitrogen, the animal will die in pleasure, it puts the animal on a "High" and it dies very very peacefully, infact its almost a pleasure for the animal

Dean,

You are thinking of NO (nitrogen oxide) or laughing gas, it will put the animal to sleep before starving it's brain of oxygen.

Drowning is the removal of breathable air, so putting an animal in a nitrogen atmosphere has the same effect as submerging in water. It is the same principle as the hosepipe through the car window only quicker. The brain works by telling the lungs to exhale when there is a set level of carbon dioxide in them, if you breath pure nitrogen there will be no CO2 so no natural reaction to breath out and you suffocate.

I would agree the best option is to shoot it if you know what your doing but a poorly placed shot would wound the animal and could cause a lot of suffering while the gun is reloaded.

Whales?

What people who live in Wales?

Quite possibly.

Although Marks suggestion about Scousers is probably closer to the truth.:001_tongue:

I did nearly drown once and I will let you know it was about as far from a pleasant experience as you can get.

Dean,

You are thinking of NO (nitrogen oxide) or laughing gas, it will put the animal to sleep before starving it's brain of oxygen.

Drowning is the removal of breathable air, so putting an animal in a nitrogen atmosphere has the same effect as submerging in water. It is the same principle as the hosepipe through the car window only quicker. The brain works by telling the lungs to exhale when there is a set level of carbon dioxide in them, if you breath pure nitrogen there will be no CO2 so no natural reaction to breath out and you suffocate.

I would agree the best option is to shoot it if you know what your doing but a poorly placed shot would wound the animal and could cause a lot of suffering while the gun is reloaded.

No, pure nitrogen

There has been a study done in which a scientist demonstrated breathing in pure nitrogen, no gagging nothing.

A journalist then tried it whilst wired up to monitors and a crash team on hand. They told him they were going to take him to the brink of death then take away the mask and give oxygen, he could hold the mask

He was extremely nervous about the whole thing and was very reluctant to hold the mask to his face. Eventually he did and commented he was not gagging for air, then he said it was quite nice actually, then they had to priy the mask off him because he didnt want to give it up, he was on a mega high and enjoying it despite being 5 seconds from death

Pure nitrogen

Like I said, you won't gag for air, your lungs don't have the signal to breath so just don't bother. The high will be adrenaline, your lungs shut down but your bum hole will be doing 5p, 50p, dustbin lid!!!

speaking form experience i couldn't disagree more!!!!