When can you justify buying a processor?

AJR Firewood

Im trying to decide at what point do you consider buying a processor, is it a matter of when when you can't meet demand or is it a basic requirement these days? I had envisaged myself employing someone when I couldn't keep up with demand but would I be better of making the investment now rather than later in a processor? Money invested in a processor is safe to a certain degree, money on wages will never be seen again as far as I can work out? I can't decide how large scale I should go - I'm quite happy chugging away with my little Husqvarna and axe at the moment but I can't help but think of next season...:confused1:

Thanks all once again :thumbup1:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sooner the better! i 'chugged' on with a chainsaw and axe for years before biting the bullet. you'll process wood in half the time, and without even breaking into a sweat.....and when you get the thought of ever picking up an axe again will make you break into cold sweats :)

im selling my processor shortly, its done me well, and with the risiing euro, hasnt depreciated at all.

i used to do my wood by hand, chainsaw and log splitter but then i got a processor and its soooo much better, i can fill my pick up in at least half the time. it is a bit of an expense but it will soon pay for itself. the other thing you need is a good supply of wood and wood that is straight.

A chainsaw and splitter could be the way to go. With a processor you need to do more wood to cover the out lay especially with the increased maintenance and breakdowns ( not much to break on a splitter ) but there is on a proccessor. Which means you need to lift more on to the infeed conveyor. So to save your back you get a loader then its a two man job. Because you now have an extra wage and a loader and a processor you may as well get a super processor for £35k . Now you need to buy the wood in at £40 a tonne delivered. Now you have flooded your local market and cant compete with people who get their wood free and are topping their money up from other sources.

An alternative view which sounds a bit negative but I think could be true sometimes.

A chainsaw and splitter could be the way to go. With a processor you need to do more wood to cover the out lay especially with the increased maintenance and breakdowns ( not much to break on a splitter ) but there is on a proccessor. Which means you need to lift more on to the infeed conveyor. So to save your back you get a loader then its a two man job. Because you now have an extra wage and a loader and a processor you may as well get a super processor for £35k . Now you need to buy the wood in at £40 a tonne delivered. Now you have flooded your local market and cant compete with people who get their wood free and are topping their money up from other sources.

An alternative view which sounds a bit negative but I think could be true sometimes.

Whoever could accuse you of being negative Steve :biggrin: I used to own petrol stations where you need a property costing 800k to sell your product and at £1.20 per litre your lucky to make 3p and then most people buy it on credit card so you pay 1.35% commission to the card companies putting you in negative profit on a prduct that up to 1% evaporates in your tanks before you get chance to sell it and that was the good points ... this firewood lark looks a doddle.

A bit negative I said :biggrin: Money makes money in this world. Logs are a good hobby if you are treading water in the recession or sitting on a pile of money in semi retirement. But If you have wife kids and mortgage it takes a bit more consideration before splashing out 8k .

So my dreams of owning a petrol stationed have now been dashed as well

We used to do it by hand:banghead: but now with a procesor which to be honest isnt realy being used as good as it could be (number of issues) you save your back save your monney and actually enjoy doing logs. You can/could get a grant for half of it its a ball ache to get but pays for half. But after someones thread the other day it may of all changged/changing