Have you ever not sold out?

widmere

Thanks Logbaron - I am in the same situation as yourself and I am sure everyone else at a point in the season you start to run out of dry product and so stop servicing new customers or selling part seasoned wood.

Bobbysm - you don't actually say whether you run out or not.

Stephen admits to a surplus left in his first year - could be various reasons for this.

My point is that I think we all undersell our product. If you look at the posts on hear it looks like most of us vacillate on how much to charge a cubic metre or worse still try and take advantage of their customers with the 'old builders bag ton of logs' malarkey.

Local retail outlets round here £3.99 a net for wet softwood - 50p a log - 352 logs a metre - £176 a metre for a poor product which the customer collects and pays for at point of sale. If they didn't sell they wouldn't stock them.

why are you taking advantage of customers by selling by a builders bag? as long as you tell them its a builders bag and not a ton bag!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why are you taking advantage of customers by selling by a builders bag? as long as you tell them its a builders bag and not a ton bag!

but again, lets get firewood as any other product sold at a consistant measure and sell by volume - what size are these builders bags??? can the customer get a comparison from one merchant to another, no i would say, as one sells by the "builders bag" and one sells by the cube and one sells by the ton - aaaarrrggghh

we give ourselves a bad name if we cannot get this right - trading standards would have a field day im sure and in any other industry/retail it would not happen

if only people would take nice seasoned larch for £60 m3- but i blame the stove installers for brainwashing the public into asking for either kiln dried or 3 year seasoned hardwood - (which is what we got asked for the other week)

thats what i sell larch for!!! and it flies out the door, some customers cant get enough of it:thumbup:

dont you just hate those sort ed, i know a few of those city bankers:blushing:

Nearly as much as the ones who repeatedly ask wether its dry and seasoned only for you to turn up to deliver it and they say drop it on the yard as I havent got a shed/log store so by time they get used likely hood is they'll be wet again :001_rolleyes::001_cool:

Nearly as much as the ones who repeatedly ask wether its dry and seasoned only for you to turn up to deliver it and they say drop it on the yard as I havent got a shed/log store so by time they get used likely hood is they'll be wet again :001_rolleyes::001_cool:

i won't deliver to anybody that doesn't have a wood store

re running out - last year we ran out of wood for open fires - but as we have a chestnut copse - we never run out of chestnut logs

we have just started moving 3 yr seasoned chestnut into dry store - but there is mountains of it - so i reckon it will take us all summer to shift it - and we recently had to build another store

Rob - you sum up the point exactly - Please don't take this the wrong way but shouldn't you be trying to produce 400t and stop discounting for multiple orders. In fact a business model might suggest a price lift of 30% and you still may run out of wood. My guess is that you sell great product that is delivered efficiently why not get paid for it.

:laugh1:that's a very good point. no discounts this year!

on the subject of builders bags i fail to see the problem as said as long you are clear on what you are selling and not trying to sell a false amount its ok anyway most are repeat customers and therefore know what they are getting i have never had aproblem or complaint in15 years of using them after all its a volume same as a net of logs (ours hold app 13 logs some i see hold ten) is just that as long as you are clear you will have no problem as said logs are a long term business with money tied up years in advance if you want to retain customers

• 2 years later...