Pricing query - opinions wanted!

MaxJ

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you elaborate fellas re "last century"? Prices are regional I have found. There are guys working for far less around here than 350-450 a day as described. Dunno how they do it. I sub to 2 different blokes; one charges about £250 a day for 2 men and waste away and another charges £600 a day; I have wrestled with this for too long already. Went to look at 6 leylands yesterday; half a days work for the 2 of us. My quote was £275. Customer asked to see insurance. Another had quoted £10 per tree! YES, a tenner for a 12" dbh 35 footer....???

Some may work a shorter day, some may get less done in a day, some may cut corners where they can get away with it.

Who knows, Jon?

Is the bloke charging £600 still in business? The other guy's got to do 2.5 times the work to make the same money if they are a like for like outfit.

A legitamate, insured firm doing it by the book, with 2 trained tree surgeons, appropriate gear, and providing a chipper, on their own job that they have won (i.e. not on a sub-contract day rate) need to be charging a lot more than £350 a day. IMO.

Very roughy.... but try and break yr costs down and that will make it easier arriving at a realistic price that hopefully... gives u profit! You should be looking at least 20% net profit

Price:

Labour 2XManpower daily rate 240

Equipment (chipper) daily rate 75

Direct costs (contribution to overheads) insurance, buildings etc 45

Indirect costs (fuel, maintenance, management fee, admin, downtime) 35

Again... these are approx calculations but hope it helps. What is important is that u are fully aware of your 'costs base'.

There will always be someone out there willing to do jobs cheaper. The point about £10 per tree is extraordinary. We are currently doing costings down to the individual productivity and skill of staff; running and depreciation cost for different vehicles and equipment; distance travelled; along with all the other associated costs for insurance, holidays, breakages, admin, training etc. That's just to get our man day cost. Always good if you can squeeze a bit of profit in there too.

It always used to be a finger in the air calculation.

Then there is guestimating the time it's going to take and how much you want/need the work.

Importantly, if you can get a good handle on the amount of time the job is going to take you'll be better off even if your man day price is a little low, (IMO). Best to work on both though.

£250/man is an average price for the more advanced companies around here. (Oxon)

myself cs41 including chipper, kit and waste away £250 climber with cs39 £100

labour only £60/50

Remeber your there because they cant do it themselves

i used to work for less ,started up a year ago to build up a customer base

But i live with my parents and use theres as my yard

myself cs41 including chipper, kit and waste away £250 climber with cs39 £100

labour only £60/50

Remeber your there because they cant do it themselves

i used to work for less ,started up a year ago to build up a customer base

But i live with my parents and use theres as my yard

Would you be counting "labour only" as someone with cs38 to groundie/be there in event of accident?

mmm. maybe i an't charging enough!

I charge a day rate of 350 for private work...but we blast the job and get what will take most guys day we do in 1/2 day.

I bring to job-

new 15k truck

new timberwolf 150.

Insured

1 Qualifed groundsman.

1 load takeaway.

i think i should be charging 500 a day. bollocks!

time to put my quotes up i think...or i am going to keep on getting burnt out.