todays big fell

timtree81

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i understand about cutting it low, but your bar was massive for the tree, so why would you want to make it narrower at the base?

If the tree is going to the saw mill, maybe they didn't want the flare and it was easier to do when the tree is standing? :confused1:

Just a guess. Be interested in hearing the right answer!:thumbup1:

i understand about cutting it low, but your bar was massive for the tree, so why would you want to make it narrower at the base?

if you look at the picture of my saw on the stump it only just makes it length wise accross the trunk ,i prefer not to use a smaller bar and cut from each side,if the tree was wider i would have used a smaller bar on my 394 and cut my gob from either side of the tree ,i trim off all the buttreses to make it neat and tidy ,all those wide nobs and bobs make it harder to abtain a accurate gob and back cut ,and it sat level on the trailer ,other wise it would have sat proud at one end .

trimming the buttresses is good practice on straight easy fells, but anything with a lean, under stress or getting winched over i will leave the buttresses on for strength. The heart can be rotten from a tree but very rarely the buttresses.:001_smile:

thats a lot of milled timber:thumbup1:

trimming the buttresses is good practice on straight easy fells, but anything with a lean, under stress or getting winched over i will leave the buttresses on for strength. The heart can be rotten from a tree but very rarely the buttresses.:001_smile:

thats a lot of milled timber:thumbup1:

yo steve ,spot on mate . could do with a rig like you used to own ,man i got sum work on ,big lumps of timber comin out of my ears ,in a maner of speaking