looking at going freelance. advice needed...

jeepster

EL does cover uninsured freelancers? My insurance company had a long discussion over this matter, I said i use Freelance climbers and sub contractors. I was told for using a sub contractor they would need there own PL as they would be undertaking the work, doing there own risk assessments. So i wouldn't, but freelancers work with you and under your supervision are classed as third party employed apparently. Well by your company so you do need EL but if they have there own PL you don't. So i didn't take EL and will only use insured PL contractors subby or freelance.

Thats what i was told by Trust.

Yep, thats all about right. EL covers freelancers and PL covers sub contractors if that included in your policy but they shoould still have their own.

You bring up a good point, that if (and this includes you then) the main contractor does not have EL and only uses hired in help then that help should have their own PL.

As long as those working for you know that then no worries. I hope you pay extra to cover their additional outlay.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have pl and el even though I'm a one man band bad ass freelance subcontracting hooligan. Covers all corners.

Good for you.

Another good exampel of why it is unecessary......

Frank, when you work for other companies do you sign thier RA? Or at least read it and agree with it etc. If yes, then you don't need another insurance policy.

If you refuse to have anything to do with their RA and write your own everyday and make them all sign yours then you would need to be insured!!

Yep, thats all about right. EL covers freelancers and PL covers sub contractors if that included in your policy but they shoould still have their own.

You bring up a good point, that if (and this includes you then) the main contractor does not have EL and only uses hired in help then that help should have their own PL.

As long as those working for you know that then no worries. I hope you pay extra to cover their additional outlay.

Yep, I prefer to use people who have there own insurance as they seem to break things less.:thumbup: from my past experiences with freelance climbers. 'Smash, bash, crash! what fence? well thats why you've got insurance mate.'

im not paying £500 excess for a couple of fence pannels.....

I agree with what rupe is saying but also its nice to get your own work... and then you need insurance why make 100 a day when you can make for one day £300 and bung a groundy £50 ???? then do 3 days free lance that was how i started...freelancing was great but i would want £200+ for my comiment for the day and thats not likely!!!personaly and no offence i know guys who are on £150 a day on the books climbing and running a gang,they are the only people in that company who are on that moneyand the only people who are capable of making the boss a healthy profit as well, its out there you just have to find it...

£120 seems the average going rate, With your experience, why sell yourself short?? If thats what you want, Say that, If people um and ah abit and you are prepared to work for a little less, You can always come down abit but its harder to go up.

Do a good job, Have a laugh with the people you are working with/for and you'll get work no worries mate, Works for me anyway :biggrin:

Thats what i was told by Trust.

The above company must be laughin'!!!

I used Trust, had PL Liability as all I do these days i freelance climb. I helped a mate out and as a result of doing as requested and moving boards over a fragile roof, some of the brickwork gave in and so did the roof. I ended up in the bottom of a garage.

To cut a long story short, he called on his PL provider (Trust) and told them what had happened. He used the term that he only uses Bonafide subcontractors and they informed him that he didn't have EL cover... and that he needed to speak to my insurer.

Under the definitions, as I was classed as freelance, my insurance would not need to payout as he should have had EL cover.

Looking back at it... All I did was line the pockets of Trust Insurance, and they got away with receiving two premiums and provided no assistance whatsoever.

The above company must be laughin'!!!

I used Trust, had PL Liability as all I do these days i freelance climb. I helped a mate out and as a result of doing as requested and moving boards over a fragile roof, some of the brickwork gave in and so did the roof. I ended up in the bottom of a garage.

To cut a long story short, he called on his PL provider (Trust) and told them what had happened. He used the term that he only uses Bonafide subcontractors and they informed him that he didn't have EL cover... and that he needed to speak to my insurer.

Under the definitions, as I was classed as freelance, my insurance would not need to payout as he should have had EL cover.

Looking back at it... All I did was line the pockets of Trust Insurance, and they got away with receiving two premiums and provided no assistance whatsoever.

Just because your mate didn't have the correct insurance, doesn't make it the fault of the insurance company.

You were working for him, under his direction.

He should have had EL cover.

If he had sent you to do the work without him supervising, you would be a bona-fide sub contractor.

As a bona-fide sub contractor, the decision whether to go on the roof or not would have been yours, and therefore the liability for the action would have been yours, not his.

In your case, he didn't have the correct, legally required cover, and the cover you held was not relevant to the incident.

Good job he is your mate and you didn't take it further.

How would you have felt if you had broke your back and could'nt work ever again?