Well Paid work... Where is it???

Brodie

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The higher priced company has been going some time now, dont know what kit he has, the mid priced company is a very large company with masses of kit and loads of staff, and its own training centre. I'm applying for charity status!:001_rolleyes: But there were no inexperienced firms quoting this one. We may have been fractionally too cheap, by about 100quid, but to be nearly a quarter of the price of the highest quote made me raise my eyebrows, it really was an easy day, not a ball-buster, and to earn 650 per day I dont think is bad in this economic time.

On Josh's points, I have minimal overheads, no finance etc, each person earned good money, and a healthy profit margin to boot.

Just wondering why you think you under priced it when it only took 2 men an easy day?

If thats all it was I'd be lucky to win that at £300-350 round here. :laugh1:

We done a job a bit ago for 550 days work just taking some hedging out when I asked if he'd had another price he said your in for a shock 3500 I couldn't believe it don't know where that price came from the bloke was a doctor so had plenty coin think it must have been a company with too much on who just tries their luck like someone said earlier wish the bloke told me other price I would of said il do it half that ha

Pricing has gone a bit haywire at the moment!:thumbdown:. Big firms have many advantages in image, staff, equipment, vehicles etc, all this comes at a cost and they'll never be able to compete with an experienced, small firm with minimal overheads (unless its a big job with lots of timber etc to move, when their equipment advantage can be brought to bear).

Combine this with less work and lots of laid off self-employed staff on the circuit and price differentials are going to be more common...and bigger!.

Don't under-sell your skills fellas, one day this recessions going to end and we all need to earn a real living out of it again!:001_rolleyes:

Actually, this is the second Sunday I am sat at home rather than working, we just finished a well paid job but it had to done on a Sunday, so it was nine Sundays of working all day pollarding, I think, 35 to 40 London Plane trees, quite big trees back to the original pollard points, so lots of cutting and a lot of timber and I climbed all but maybe four or five of them, it was pure luck that we got to hear about the work, but we put on a good commercial price and beat the other bigger firm by a huge margin, perhaps too huge a margin. Anyway, when the check comes it will just about pay off my depts, happy,happy.

Just wondering why you think you under priced it when it only took 2 men an easy day?

If thats all it was I'd be lucky to win that at £300-350 round here. :laugh1:

I always "review" things if there is a substantial difference between my price and other quotes, if I'm too high or lower makes no difference. I was happy with the price for the work carried out, just couldnt see how they came up with their figures.

I always "review" things if there is a substantial difference between my price and other quotes, if I'm too high or lower makes no difference. I was happy with the price for the work carried out, just couldnt see how they came up with their figures.

I really do need to start doing that tbh.

I very rarely if ever ask what others have quoted when we have won the work.

Its just one of those things when you dont do it its hard to remember to do it.