Well Paid work... Where is it???

Brodie

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't trying to say that your ability wasn't worth alot more than £50 a day. I was trying to point out the attitude that you seemed to come across with.

If you had said something along the lines of " my qualifications and experience lead me to firmly believe that I am worth a high wage as my work ethics and capabilities will not only be a huge asset to any company but also my speed and agility will be so productive that maximum profit will be achieved by the company enabling them to be able to afford to pay me such a premium wage even through an economic downturn where other companies are struggling".

Then maybe you might have got a different response.

Aye. There is much to be said for attitude and approach. Sharp employers will smell a disgruntled person a mile off. For better or for worse, we live in a market economy and stubborness,alas, will not change market forces.

I have self employed climbers working for me and they all want an increase on their daily rate but we are Market driven and I can't win the work in the current climate with so many young inexperienced climbers setting themselves up doing crap work for silly money. The public needs educating as to what is a good job and what isn't then perhaps we can all work towards fair day rates for what is a highly skilled job. Few of my guys have found work in Norway very well paid but 12 hour days think someone mentioned £200-£250 a day not bad hey. Good luck think we're all going to need it!

I'm starting to wonder if some companies really want the work. I went to remove 2 50foot beeches from a garden. Easy access, logs and chips staying on site, an easy 2man day by any standards. We went in at 650quid, 2 other quotes were 1375 and 2200. We had 3 breaks in the day, 2x 1/2hr and an hour for lunch, no rigging or anything complicated, just cut and drop. Apparently the chap who quoted 2200, kept ringing to see why he didnt get the job. We tried to calculate why someone would have priced this job so high, and indeed if we'd got the pricing so wrong in this case, but couldnt have justified in any way more than 750 tops.:confused1:

I'm starting to wonder if some companies really want the work. I went to remove 2 50foot beeches from a garden. Easy access, logs and chips staying on site, an easy 2man day by any standards. We went in at 650quid, 2 other quotes were 1375 and 2200. We had 3 breaks in the day, 2x 1/2hr and an hour for lunch, no rigging or anything complicated, just cut and drop. Apparently the chap who quoted 2200, kept ringing to see why he didnt get the job. We tried to calculate why someone would have priced this job so high, and indeed if we'd got the pricing so wrong in this case, but couldnt have justified in any way more than 750 tops.:confused1:

Whats an easy 2 man day to an old hand like you Andy, may seem a "Big Job" to some start up outfit thats decided to go it alone straight out of the college.