'ARB Show'

AA Teccie (Paul)

James, Blair and I home safely having had a great couple of days at the show - weather was a real bonus too! Enjoyed meeting lots of Arbtalk guys and putting some faces to names. Thanks to all for making us feel welcome and to Steve, Andy, John and Rupe for showing us a bit of the Cheltenham night life! :001_smile:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul i came away from the show a bit disappointed. I found that i came away from the show having not learned anything. This was particularly at the sthil demonstration area, which last year gave some good ideas and made me think about the way that we carry out some of our procedures. You need more people who are innovators to lead discussions/ demonstrations, otherwise the show will become one big shopping event.

However the tree climbing competition was very good, and it was good to see that even the competition climbers have a bad day with their throwline!

But you need better signage for this event i.e. competition rules, what people have to do in the tree etc

That's afair comment and others have said similar things...we have an idea which will hopefully raise the interest levels (can't say too much at this time)

Thanks also for the comments re the climbing event, signage outside the barriers summarising the rules would be useful...simples BUT effective, thanks again.

Paul

I have to say from an exhibitors point of view the AA show is expensive when you look at how much area you have and the attendance numbers. Also 2 years ago I was charged a ridiculous amount for the ropey wood I was given for demoing the mills on. Even more ridiculous when you are on a woodland estate IMO. And it just made me think 'money grabbing .....'

That left a bad enough taste in my mouth not to return...

But I appreciate what you're doing Paul so well done on the thread!

:thumbup:

Thanks for the feedback Rob will make sure your points are discussed at the review meeting. Perhaps, in part, the poor quality of wood supplied is down to a lack of understanding of the requirements fo timber on our half...dunno!

Cheers again..

Paul

Hi Paul, couldn't make it this year, was up at the Atf meet at Staverton, getting me rocks off on some fine old vets. :blushing:

Hope numbers turn out to have been a success.

In the spirit of adding constructive crticism, I'd like to think that there was not a repeat of the episode from last year where the bright spark in charge of parking (which undoubtedly is a epic operation) didn't go and park a few tonnes of leaky motors on the roots of the very things we are trying to protect and enhance :sneaky2:

Personally thought that this was a very bad image, that the press would of had a field day with.

Great to see you're looking for feedback so soon after the event. :thumbup1:

Usually go every year and enjoy for the most part, sent down my chaps this year to check out Andys Airspade demo & presentation.

Will try and get to some of the conference, as I've never actually been before. So may catch you then :001_smile:

DSC02920.JPG.abdea913ca182eab01c4314fb703adbf.JPG

DSC02918.JPG.812fdd0b8b7cf48d1c25a54e6755cfcc.JPG

i have always felt cut off from the aa, and felt this at last years show, a them and us atmosphere, them being the aa members doing the lectures and seminars, us being me, just an ordinary tree worker, is there a way of the aa targeting us 'ordinary' tree workers?

I have only just read through this thread, and got to josh's comment, which summed up how i feel about it. I remember feling last year thatr if i was an AA member the shiow would have made more sense if yousee what i mean. Having said that, if i had not had to wait for payment off loads of people then i would have gone this year......

rich, mark bolam and i camped over and i enjoyed the weekend, bit of a trek up there, mark bolam drove there and back, cheers for that mark.

got to meet some arbtalkers for the first time and see soe splicing by hadley (old snake), was very impress with the splicing, managed to get back to watch the footy in time but i was more impressed with the F1 thn footy.

Met paul from the AA, very friendly fella and hope that paul can make a change to the way the AA deal with us small timers, i think he has his work cut out but from the effort that he has put in so far he's making alot of headway.

good for you paul:thumbup1:

I think that this years show was possibly the most easy to do from the point of an exhibitor, helpful staff, free telehandler and at the end, relatively short wait to get the trucks on. Thanks, for that side of things. I'm pretty sure that a "roving" show would be more attractive - you'll always have the "too far to come" type visitor, so take the show to them.

Over night camping and facilities would be attractive as well.

It's interesting that footfall is the measure of your success, As far as I'm concerned, a five man gang with one buyer is a footfall of one! Remember, no sales, no exhibitors, no show. Yes, the exhibitors need to have the right tools at the right price but with no buyers there, why should we go?

Hi Paul, couldn't make it this year, was up at the Atf meet at Staverton, getting me rocks off on some fine old vets. :blushing:

Hope numbers turn out to have been a success.

In the spirit of adding constructive crticism, I'd like to think that there was not a repeat of the episode from last year where the bright spark in charge of parking (which undoubtedly is a epic operation) didn't go and park a few tonnes of leaky motors on the roots of the very things we are trying to protect and enhance :sneaky2:

Personally thought that this was a very bad image, that the press would of had a field day with.

Great to see you're looking for feedback so soon after the event. :thumbup1:

Usually go every year and enjoy for the most part, sent down my chaps this year to check out Andys Airspade demo & presentation.

Will try and get to some of the conference, as I've never actually been before. So may catch you then :001_smile:

Same tree, a year later (this was about 5pm when most of the cars had left).

The example is a little extreme, but should have been picked up in a risk assessment, not worried about the Micra but could easily have been a family having a picnic under that tree.

59765657b928d_DSC_2976(Large).jpg.b995ae59c9bbbd84da8cdee7fc529eaf.jpg

Same tree, a year later (this was about 5pm when most of the cars had left).

The example is a little extreme, but should have been picked up in a risk assessment, not worried about the Micra but could easily have been a family having a picnic under that tree.

Oh Dear :thumbdown:

Paul, be good to address this on a couple of levels methinks.

Possibly small in the grand scale of things, but the small stuff sometimes becomes an irritating itch.

Edited by Monkey-D