Would you do it?

Mick Stockbridge

Explain as best you can Mick and try go for complete pollard (with tonys sugge3stion of leaving long stubs or complete removal.

To cut back to the junction might leave you with a possible law suit in future :biggrin:

What I d tell em is that it will cause a pocket of rot and make the other two limbs attachment points weak in future which could possibly come back and bite you in the form of a law suit in future

They would ask you to drop yourself in it would they...............or would they?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Explain as best you can Mick and try go for complete pollard (with tonys sugge3stion of leaving long stubs or complete removal.

To cut back to the junction might leave you with a possible law suit in future :biggrin:

What I d tell em is that it will cause a pocket of rot and make the other two limbs attachment points weak in future which could possibly come back and bite you in the form of a law suit in future

They would ask you to drop yourself in it would they...............or would they?

I was thinking along the lines of ad15 with the disclaimer thing but I'm not sure that would actually stand up if it did fail in the future. If something did go wrong later on and push came to shove I'm sure most people would drop you in it.

If more light is an issue what about offering a crown lift and a overall thin?

Better for tree, fewer cuts, less reactive growth.

Agree with others - if they insist on a crap solution you may as well take their money, at least you've tried to tell them what can go wrong.

Keep fighting the cause

I was thinking along the lines of ad15 with the disclaimer thing but I'm not sure that would actually stand up if it did fail in the future. If something did go wrong later on and push came to shove I'm sure most people would drop you in it.

actually mick they do stand up.. we used to use them with boot fitting and ski fitting, sounds gay as but customers used to "insist" they were experts when blatantly they weren't, so in that case we'd do a disclaimer,,

they came back several times when customers went onto break legs/ knees using kit that was too advanced for them,, our legal lot would then produce the boot/ski fitting record with the disclaimer...

we won every time...

Pollard or Fell and re-plant? Much better aesthetically than leaving two feet stubs and half a tree.

I think a full crown thin and slight lift will allow a lot of light into the garden, along with some treatment along the same lines of the adjacent trees. But the customer might not be able to see the merits of that.

Do you have photos of other crown thinnings for the aim of increasing light penetration to the property that you could show them?

I would try and make them see sense, but if they insist I'd do it.

I don't buy this unbalanced stuff, when I did line clearance I cut the side off some huge trees with no problems, I also worked on huge trees that had had one side taken off years ago and where doing just fine.

Pollard or Fell and re-plant? Much better aesthetically than leaving two feet stubs and half a tree.

I think a full crown thin and slight lift will allow a lot of light into the garden, along with some treatment along the same lines of the adjacent trees. But the customer might not be able to see the merits of that.

Do you have photos of other crown thinnings for the aim of increasing light penetration to the property that you could show them?

A lift and thin is NOT the right thing for this tree! it wont achieve the objectives, and lifting will push the already high carb production even higher, leaving the poor root flare with little to nourish its increasing need to adapt and put on mass according to the axiom.

A thin will just not last, a reduction would be better.

micks been backed into a corner and is facing a client who refuses to be told.

hes gotten good advice in my view, and thin and lift isnt it, sorry IMO

I would try and make them see sense, but if they insist I'd do it.

I don't buy this unbalanced stuff, when I did line clearance I cut the side off some huge trees with no problems, I also worked on huge trees that had had one side taken off years ago and where doing just fine.

Removing all the foliage from one side of a tree has consequences not discimilar to that stated above, and leaves one side of the tree under nourished, including the roots once fed by the foliage once connected.

This is NEVER a good scenario.

WELL DOCUMENTED

( huck, do you like my CAPITALISATIONS, for EMPHASIS!) lol:001_tt2:

Got you big boy, :lol: