Saw Pants for milling?

18 stoner

normal clobber for me but with some FM radio ear protectors insted of helmet. only time i snaped a chain while milling was when finishing the cut and the weight of the slab poped out the wedge and traped the chain at full chaff, 54" of .325 chain snap!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i use normal protection but i also use chipper muffs, my reason for this is you are closer for longer to the drive head and sometimes i put in ear plugs. as for tripping over as you come out of the cut simple answer is switch the thing off once you clear. that way if you are using a big bar 50" 60" you can move round to the front and lift the whole mill out and away. eye protection is a must but i dont use a skid lid. you can buya head band and visor fron b&q. i sometimes use a mask mainly for the fumes if you are cutting low down.

meh i ent gunna lie when im using the chainsaw mill i dont normally wear my chainsaw trousers, this is normally because we been using the bandsaw all morning and then get the mill out to break down some big lumps and i dont have them with me,

i think im gunna start wearing ear plugs under the muffs though, and i've started wearing glasses, that fine dust is annoying when it gets in your eyes

Nice one Liam, one of the reasons i started thinking about ppe with the mill was as a result of the hot weather, sweltering in saw pants when your legs are never in close proximty to the chain got me thinking, is it a chainsaw or a mill? Hence, do chainsaw ppe rules apply?

I would say if saw trousers apply, surely a saw jacket must apply too, but is there anyone who can quote specific regs for this?

I would say eye protection is a must, as is ear defenders. I do like the idea of having plugs inside muffs, I'll be trying that one!

Longer usage should warrant a dust mask and AV gloves also IMO.

It's a good point - when you're chainsaw milling in the height of summer do you wear chainsaw trousers or not?

The trouble is as soon as you start saying 'don't wear them when it's really hot' someone will cut themselves and all of a sudden all fingers are pointed your way :sneaky2:

Weigh up the risks and situation and make an informed decision!

The other thing with chainsaw milling is the fumes and dust. I've been using Aspen the last few years so the fumes aren't really an issue any more but a dust mask has got to be a good idea if you have a lot to do.

And your chainsaw boots are always going to be essential moving those heavy planks around.

did some checking up today, you should wear chainsaw trousers and boots. skid lid not ness, common sense says to wear eye protection and muffs. when they bring out some really good anti vibe gloves then i will get some. even in hot weather you should protect your neck from sunburn.(heat stroke) remember dont work when your tired,you cannot come back the next day to finish if your in hospital.

no upper body protection needed. checked with a really clued up bloke who has done just about everything. he actually said that as a "chainsaw mill" was powered by a chainsaw you had to wear the pants. if the chain breaks in the cut it is going away from you and will generally get trapped in the cut. i use "c" pants so all protection at the front to protect my two fruit and veg. might even think about getting a box.ha ha!

I only wear front protection trousers when milling/ on the deck, not going to cook myself if i dont have to. Used ear plugs under my muffs for a while as i wear glasses instead of a mesh visor and have mentioned once before about the noise that can 'leak' through the seal made by the muffs but was laughed at (on here). I think the only time i wear full PPE in my husq jacket is when using the mini-mill tbh.