Lifelong learning- A costly affair?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get sacked, sign on for Benefits, get a huge discount on course fees and become eligible for grants and burseries and spend the rest of your life as a professional student. There, that's your education sorted! :001_tt2:

In the bizarre way that this world works, the main reason I didn't take up my foundation offer was because I got a job and started earning, and therfore no was longer entitled to any discount and couldn't afford it. Don't you just love the irony of that?

Get sacked, sign on for Benefits, get a huge discount on course fees and become eligible for grants and burseries and spend the rest of your life as a professional student. There, that's your education sorted! :001_tt2:

In the bizarre way that this world works, the main reason I didn't take up my foundation offer was because I got a job and started earning, and therfore no was longer entitled to any discount and couldn't afford it. Don't you just love the irony of that?

yep!

Surely it would make sense to our government to give working folk the incentives rather than lazy toads? i mean were paying for them AND us when we work and learn! and we would get better jobs and pay EVEN MORE tax after the learning!:001_huh:

On my way back from bristol one evening, i picked up a hitch hiker, we got talking (as you do) and it turns out he had just come out of Glastonbury festival. he told me he had studied a law degree and though having (spent?) 2 years plus he never really felt it was where he wanted to go with his life!

Now, ive been paying taxes all my life for people like this, who waste education knowing full well its NOT what they want to do, but it will do rather than work for the time being.

sufice to say i left him at the next service station!

Oooh, harsh. Leaving that poor hitcher to suffer at a service station. You have an evil streak :sneaky2:

I'm surprised that there aren't even more uni' drop outs. When you're 18 or so, you are still developing and changing rapidly, discovering your likes, dislikes, strengths (and weaknesses). To ask someone of that age to choose what they want to do for for the rest of their lives, when they have only just begun it, seems an almost impossible choice to me.

Yet due to peer pressure, parental expectaions and now Government social engineering, thousands of teenagers are expected to do just that every year, ending up comitting themselves to three years of learning something that a lot of them have no real interest in. The amount of graduates that end up working in an industry with no relevance to what they studied bears witness to this.

I admire anyone who knows what they want to do in life and who set about achieving it, whether they are 18 or 80 and whether they are getting us tax payers to fund them or scraping the pennies together themselves. And I can completely understand why someone will drop out and change direction - I've done it myself plenty of times!

It was just unlucky for that hitcher that he got picked up by a grumpy old so and so like you! :001_tt2:

Chin up , ride the storm

now i am not a religious freak but when my **** hits my fan i do find myself asking the big guy.

and 9 out of 10 times the phone rings and if it dont then it means i have to do a bit more

ie that big box of leaflets sitting in the corner of the dining room.

inother words you may pray that your win the lottery hey we all do now hes not gona give you that one but he will give you as much a chance as every one else, you just got to buy the ticket.

look for help in the unusual places thats where you will find the answers.

freak over and out