CS38 Questions/Gearing up

ecolojim

not sure this is correct but if you buy complete helmet and muffs no vat but helmet only you pay vat if so it may be better to buy complete worth checking out

according to justin's catalogue, helmet only is still vat free.

Tony, we are talking about the same gloves yes? the thin 'extra grip' ones not the chainsaw ppe ones? I didnt find them that bad and reasonably priced but if anyone can suggest others id love to hear from them

ok scratch the maillons, im only going on TCC illustrations there.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tony, we are talking about the same gloves yes? the thin 'extra grip' ones not the chainsaw ppe ones? I didnt find them that bad and reasonably priced but if anyone can suggest others id love to hear from them

I've had the timberlands both the grips and the PPE and I wont be buying any more, through the finger seams and inside the thumb in no time. I use the sticky builders gloves now £3-5 a pair. Don't last long, but cheaper and a good fit every time.

there are a pair of ANSELL FOAM gloves on the market and they are just dreamy. dont get caught in prussik and the seem to mold to your skin. they dont last more than a few jobs but at about £1.28 a pair i dont mind, i buy them in bulk now so we put on new pairs willy nilly.there great for rope/knot work. if you got a mate who works for british gas he'll be able to source you a pair or two!!

right oh, reckon i'll do that then, just go with the builders ones. we talking about the pale blueish ones?

on the topic of a second strop/flipline... what are we feeling on that?

They are the type, colour tends to depend on make, some last better than others, blue ones being good I believe. I tend to go for the economy ones, see below.

Flip line - I like the thinner wire core type, which lend themselves to mechanical grippers (don't forget the soft link!), as I use it for more than straight pole/ spike work and the flexibility helps. Personal choice, if you can try 1st then buy the one that you prefer.

Hope this helps, and good luck for your assessment

5976534251a95_Picture1.jpg.cfdfd8578414d1be3e3f899dce202fad.jpg

I also use that type of glove.... but dont pay anywhere near that much for them... get mine from the local sunday markets cost me £5 for six pairs usually. Green or black ones tend to last a bit longer, but I treat them as disposable.

Kev.

webbing slings are useful. I'd buy one sling and one cambium saver. (good bit of kit that you’ll find useful when you’ve passed) :icon14:

Jim -this is good advice.

Webbing slings are cheap and last an age (and come in very handy)

Try to get a couple of 120cm ones and a really short one for your casualty rescue (it'll hold them closer to you and give you loads more control)

Jim -this is good advice.

Webbing slings are cheap and last an age (and come in very handy)

Try to get a couple of 120cm ones and a really short one for your casualty rescue (it'll hold them closer to you and give you loads more control)

50cm one, something like that?

Ive emailed the centre to find out about the spikes thing and to enquire as to whether they think their requirement list is rather short. Given that they market their course as for people who havent climbed before, and yet are expected to perform rescue, the list is pretty short. I shall let you see what you all think

Click Me!