CS38 Questions/Gearing up

ecolojim

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope so... im a very cautious person though so Im going to spend some time getting my climbing up to scratch and my positioning spot on, get more comfortable in the canopy before I think about doing that. Watch this space

Wise words... congratulation on passing. Nothing wrong with not wanting to run before you can walk (as so many do!) Spend a bit of time in the canopy and if you can do some pruning work with Silky's and secatuers. It will allow you to gain confidence and practice getting into better work positions without the added pressure of climbing with and using a power saw.:001_cool:

well, the boy done good!

even though it was peeing it down with rain and slippery as sin, i got my head on right and it all came together on the day :)

:laola:Well Done Jim!!!!

Great to hear a sucess even though it was a hard week.

Had you climbed before you went on this course?

Good luck with your next step!!!!!

See you sat 16th ?

that's the plan :)

Wise words... congratulation on passing. Nothing wrong with not wanting to run before you can walk (as so many do!) Spend a bit of time in the canopy and if you can do some pruning work with Silky's and secatuers. It will allow you to gain confidence and practice getting into better work positions without the added pressure of climbing with and using a power saw.:001_cool:

thanks mate. next job, learn good pruning technique

:laola:Well Done Jim!!!!

Great to hear a sucess even though it was a hard week.

Had you climbed before you went on this course?

Good luck with your next step!!!!!

To say that i had climbed would only be a partial truth. Id been up and down a few considerably smaller and much denser canopied trees just around the farm. These awesome oaks were very open canopied and very large (to me, probably not to a lot of you).

I had done no branch walking, definitely no jumping around the canopy, never used supplementary tie in points. Only sizeable tree id ever been up was on spikes when my boss gave me a trial by fire on a pine.

one of the biggest challenges which was the first i had to overcome was to climb the tree not the rope. When in smaller trees i had always climbed the tree, because everything was always close together. In this case it was getting used to hauling myself up over branches, and getting into all kinds of contorted positions to climb from one branch to another. Feels less 'safe' to begin with, but it's definitely quicker, definitely less effort required, and certainly the only way at some points.

but swinging about is by far the most fun part!

There is a heck of a lot of thinking involved, using your rope as a tool as well as a lifeline. considering which way to route your rope before your next move, finding natural redirects, setting a second tie in point before a long branch walk etc etc.

and the most important thing i found out...

Yale XTC 12 when set in the top of the tree, if you try and bodythrust back up from the ground, it's like climbing a baby bouncer. Not fun:scared1:

Well done:thumbup1:

I think you were being a bit hard on yourself earlier; if you can get out along a wet slippy branch with no footholds there's not much you won't manage!

Just my opinion but I would say why not go for it, push yourself more, sometimes it's the only way especially if you tend to be very cautious. I started climbing nearly three years ago, taking a notion out of the blue to do CS 38 and 39, no industry experience, nothing. A week later, having been out to the end of about three branches in my whole life I landed a job by fluke. Day one was sent up a big beech for a reduction:scared1::scared1: With an experienced climber, who was a saint. Came on more in those first few weeks that I ever could have by plodding along at home, getting comfortable etc. You stop fretting about the walk out the branch when it's just one part of the whole job. I know what you mean about walking before you can run but sometimes, for some types of people (I would tend to be a bit cautious generally too) it's the only way.

That's what I reckon! Good luck

PS I also think your description of yourself as a bit cautious may be a bit out, have you read your own post in the "craziest thing you've ever done"?!!!