Copper nails

jonnyboy

Heres one for you all - copper nails - do they kill trees? Old wives tail or fact?

I put about 10 copper nails into the trunk of a conifer 12 years ago, the tree is still there as fit as cheryl cole, sorry tweedy. So in my experience it is an old wives tale.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always thought it was an old wives tail. Today I was asked to look at dead willow tree, the owner is convinced that the adjacent neighbour had killed it to improve his view. Hammered in at the base of the tree were two copper nails, so I thought I'd do some research on the web. About 50% said it did and 50% said it did'nt, so I thought I'd ask the experts but I could'nt find any so I asked you lot!:001_tt2:

Copper nails are used to install lighting protection in trees, they keep the copper cable in place, I was involved in one of these projects, we must've hammered over 150 copper nails into this giant Oak, that was 10 years ago, the tree is fine.

Why would copper kill a tree? Does it somehow magically overcome CODIT? Or catalyse some systemic cambial shut down? Nonsense. The nail punctures the xylem/phloem and allows air into the vascular system, shutting transport off. The embolism area is compartmentalised and the tree shrugs off another minor wound. Next...

I wonder, given that it is an offence to attempt to commit a offence under the Criminal Attempts Act 1981 - hammering in copper nails to a TPO tree should attract a more significant penalty than unauthorised works even though the effort is futile?

Edited by Amelanchier
Spelling

I wonder, given that it is an offence to attempt to commit a offence under the Criminal Attempts Act 1981 - hammering in copper nails to a TPO tree should attract a more significant penalty than unauthorised works even though the effort is futile?

It should as the intention is to kill the tree.Even if it does nothing.

Ive seen the old copper nail story tried out but as far as I know it never works.

Another one was putting grit ie salt around the base, someone did it to a syc which did look a bit poor but was still alive.:thumbup1:

i have seen a small rowan dead from a bird box up, it was held with a copper nail, they took the bird box and nail out and the tree recovered. answers please hammy:biggrin:

the tree was in scotland... the top of the tree was poorly from all the weegies trying to get the penny...