Aaac. Sole traders?

Frank

I'm sure they would, and do, have that condition already in Place Andy. Its no different to having to ensure that all employees have the right certs for the work that they do.

But to be "pukka". the hired in help doesn't need to be AAAC.

I've just realised this is in the AA section, not the general chat! So I'll keep my general chat type comments out and leave it to Paul to give the correct response.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the most recent assesment schedule ses something along the lines that it is expected the the majority of the work will be carried out by inhouse employees, but it is exceptable to use sub contractors during peak times to meet the work load. The subbies would then be working under the umbrella of you H&S infrastrure and which would need to be of the standard set by the AA.

So the way I interpret this is that you should have staff trained and competant to deliver the services you offer, but the use of subbies is exceptable so long as you are not soley relying on sub these contractors to deliver the companies services.

I think the most recent assesment schedule ses something along the lines that it is expected the the majority of the work will be carried out by inhouse employees, but it is exceptable to use sub contractors during peak times to meet the work load. The subbies would then be working under the umbrella of you H&S infrastrure and which would need to be of the standard set by the AA.

So the way I interpret this is that you should have staff trained and competant to deliver the services you offer, but the use of subbies is exceptable so long as you are not soley relying on sub these contractors to deliver the companies services.

Thats sounds about right, and in that instance that you describe, the "subbies" are not bona fide sub contractors, they are just subbies for you for the day and included in your RA etc and H&S infrastructure as you put it, so under control of the main company and that companies insurance policies.

Ooops, sorry didn't notice anyone was here as you've been neglecting me recently....awwwww!

The answer to the original question is 'Yes', you can become AAAC being a single 'sole trader' utilising sub-contractor labour only AND be a sub-contractor (freelance arborist) yourself. AND further, as an AAAC, you can during peak periods and busy times etc. engage bona fide sub-contractors, i.e. other treework contractors. Indeed we do check your processes for doing so as this is a key CHAS requirement (but we always have anyway but do so more rigorously now.)

The essence of the scheme is about 'quality and standards' and at ALL times, regardless of staff changes etc., YOU are responsible! If YOU move on, as the nominated approved manager in effect, then we re-assess the company and your replacement to check they're up-to-scratch.

Loopholes?...possibly, to some extent, and very difficult to manage if someone wishes to abuse the system but that's life and shouldn't stop us setting minimum expected standards as a professional industry and to which most will adhere and respect.

Cheers all...sorry I was a little late!

Paul

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)
spelling and grammar

Soooooo....... Basically me and a work colleague of mine are both sole traders. We work together all the time and bounce invoices and cheques at each other.we also have another self employed groundie we utilise. We both have full public and employers liability insurance and both like to think we do everything "by the book". What's the next step in becoming aaac. Can we be "assessed" together? Where do we go from here?

Soooooo....... Basically me and a work colleague of mine are both sole traders. We work together all the time and bounce invoices and cheques at each other.we also have another self employed groundie we utilise. We both have full public and employers liability insurance and both like to think we do everything "by the book". What's the next step in becoming aaac. Can we be "assessed" together? Where do we go from here?

Hi Frank, thanks for the post.

My only question here is who would be the 'applicant', and then the 'approved', company/firm as the accreditation is not to an individual (albeit clearly their has to be a 'key' individual nominated as the responsible manager for the approved contractor)?

We could not, for instance, award to 'Joe Smith & Bob Jones'...I don't think. Or perhaps we could but it wouyld be very unorthodox (which is fine) but what would happen to the approval if 'Joe' or 'Bob' left?...a full reassessment may be required.

Is it worth forming a partnership as a firm maybe and then the approval would be straightforward, i.e. Smith & Jones Tree Surgeons....dunno?!

Lastly, and particularly as a 'small' company, I would hang fire and await the outcome of the AAAC review.

Hope this answers your question, please post back or call me if not.

Cheers..

Paul

Lastly, and particularly as a 'small' company, I would hang fire and await the outcome of the AAAC review.

Hi Paul, just curious but have you any idea when the review will be out?

It would be real good if at first we could get an idea of what the new requirements are likely to be so we can work towards them, as some of the local competition are working towards aaac status too. would be nice to beat them to it! Lol!

Cheers, Pete.

Edited by 18 stoner

Hi Paul, just curious but have you any idea when the review will be out?

It would be real good if at first we could get an idea of what the new requirements are likely to be so we can work towards them, as some of the local competition are working towards aaac status too. would be nice to beat them to it! Lol!

Cheers, Pete.

Hiya Pete,

The 'detail' of the review is currently being worked up and we hope to launch the 'new' scheme in September (fingers crossed.)

The 'new' requirements, to be honest, will essentially be very similar to what we have now and what a company should be doing anyway. Much of the emphasis will be placed on the worksite audit (sectional felling) and quality audits (tree planting & tree pruning), along with an adequate knowledge (not necessarily supported by a qual) of a range of arb topics. In relation to the stucking point of H&S (documentary evidence) current discussions are debating whether to follow the CHAS approach, i.e. 'less than 5' = much lower level required (as previously indicated) OR provision of generic policies/risk assessments/method statements and offer of assistance to contractors working towards accreditation to achieve the necessary level fo documnetary complaince (this also provides the 'small' company with the framework to expand and meet the '5+' requireemnts if a client/LA requires such.)

Hmmm, lots of thinsg to discuss n sort.

No word back form EA yet re - WCLs but will chase next week hopefully.

have great weekend

Paul

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)