Where do you see arb heading in the next decade?

Andy Collins

Can't see that happening with the savings needed from local government.

Exactly, and if local government cant afford to make things happens, why on earth would the private sector? The majority of clients do not, and will not spend their hard-earned money on some bug, nor do they care about the bugs. They will support an orang utan project, or save a whale or something, and try to prevent clubbing seal pups, but thats as far as their nature interest goes, they've done their bit. I'd like to embrace the arbor-ecology side of things, but a) I'm too thick and b) I cant see it making money, and thats what business is about.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may not be able to sell bats and beasties, but legislation is driven by a need to incorporate Biodiversity and eco system health into our work, and wether joe public likes it or not, these things will be increasingly IMPOSED, sold or not, youll have to embrace it or youll not be able to work, for fulffiling your legal obligations to carry out tree work will require you to have the training and understanding of all the life of the forest.

bats, red data fungi etc etc etc, it is going to increase, get more involved and more important, and the public believe it or not, given the information will slowly embrace it.

You reckon? Prior to returning to tree work I was the head auditor for an environmental company monitoring air emissions and I can tell you one thing; my former role was generated via legislation but that same legislation was an utterly toothless tiger in respect of the bottom line (£). Bees, trees, environment - all mega important and more threatened but I see other world institutions self-imploding before the natural resources do.

How many (outside of tree work) really care? But generally the (paying) Joe and Joanna Public really dont care about the little bugs and fungi, QUOTE]

I believe within the above, lies the problem & the answer.

Investing now in our childrens future is the key.

Curriculum is slowly moving toward an understanding of the ecological importance of our present & our futures.

Show me an Ecologist or Biologist on the education authorities books? plenty of well trained Zoologists though.

Single minded view points towards single family issues is a blinkered way forward.

Sure the Pandas cuddly, but that ain't gonna save our skins.

apparantly someone among our ranks has been plucking the strings of inclusionality (cant think who :sneaky2:) but this is part of the way forward.

Joe & Joanna are possibly lost causes, but little JJ & his sister are well worth fighting for, and carry the future of our beloved industry & associated enviroments with them.

...........blimey, what a load of old sentimental clap trap.

Ignore the above and give in to the opression of modernity.

Tarmac up those front gardens and baton down the hatches from ones neighbours.

There be no natural neighbourhoods in these here parts.

Or is there.......?

:001_smile:

Edited by Monkey-D

i see companys needing to streamline their buisnesses, must arb firms are like a seive when it comes to wasting money through ineffiencies. i see unskilled workers becoming less ad less, teams of climbers doing the work, with mechanisation doing the donkey work. i think that with the advancements in green power, tree waste will be used much more productivly-to help power our citys and homes through bio powerstations.

i think that tpo'd trees will be harder to work on, before any work is considered, a full bi-diversity survey will need to be done.

britian NEEDS to plant trees though. looking out my window in sweden, i see 10times more trees and atleast 10times LESS tree surgery outfits compared to the uk.

the public needs to take responsibility for their trees on their property, just because its so easy to remove the tree, doesnt mean its worthless

I'm beginning to wonder, from a point of interest. With many advocating the retention of deadwood in trees, leaving standing dead timber

Decay is the enemy of trees and the treeworker. Where you have decay you have structural weakness, where there is structural weakness there is increased danger for the treeworker.

Monoliths, coronets and fracture pruning all have their place and that place is as far away from me as possible.

Decay is the enemy of trees and the treeworker. Where you have decay you have structural weakness, where there is structural weakness there is increased danger for the treeworker.

Monoliths, coronets and fracture pruning all have their place and that place is as far away from me as possible.

Here here!

i see companys needing to streamline their buisnesses, must arb firms are like a seive when it comes to wasting money through ineffiencies. i see unskilled workers becoming less ad less, teams of climbers doing the work, with mechanisation doing the donkey work. i think that with the advancements in green power, tree waste will be used much more productivly-to help power our citys and homes through bio powerstations.

i think that tpo'd trees will be harder to work on, before any work is considered, a full bi-diversity survey will need to be done.

britian NEEDS to plant trees though. looking out my window in sweden, i see 10times more trees and atleast 10times LESS tree surgery outfits compared to the uk.

the public needs to take responsibility for their trees on their property, just because its so easy to remove the tree, doesnt mean its worthless

Sweden has more trees and less arbs because they make 45% of thier national output from lumber! and have a 7th the population of old blighty in twice the landmass.

very little diversity in a forest of uniform spruce wood!

That is complete and utter BS, and very narrow minded. trees have lived with decay and dysfunction through the entirety of thier evolution, better word co evolutions. A tree may well go through a time of structural defect, but as often as not, the tree optomises those weaknesses and overcomes failures. Offering a great amount of substrate and potential for a diverse community of organisms in doing so, failed or optomised.

Here here!

The blind led by the blind, have eyes but yet am blind, thus follow the man infornt into the valley of death and destruction!

i dont think the industry will ever change, your part in the industry changes as you grow older, interest, fitness even parenthod changes someone and their views.

Very true stephen, but common sense should not be altered by lifes experiences?

The industry is under a lot of pressure at the moment from different areas (both climatic and economic) and as arborists we need to adapt to the changes.

I think to satisfy the biodiversity issues that Hama was talking about we need to look at the bigger picture and not just single trees in customers back gardens. Yes taking down a mature tree is detremental but if there are several close by then the damage to the ecosystem is minimal. This does however mean planting a replacement tree or two so that in the future there are trees ready to replace the trees that have reached maturity.

As for economic problems, the industry needs better regulation but more importantly the general public need to be educated in how important trees are.

Although companies can become more efficient I think it would be interesting to see what companies spend the most on, e.g. fuel, labour, insurance, new machinery etc and as an industry we could reduce these for everyone. Cheaper insurance if you are an AA approved contractor for example.

Thats my thoughts anyways.....