Where do you see arb heading in the next decade?

Andy Collins

it is this attitude that fills me with dread, and I will share something with you now, this post has brought a tear to my eyes andy.

hope can only exist if we nurture the nature.

yee gods give me the strength to keep this up.

Tony,

You need to get used to this kind of way of thinking as it is the thinking of human nature.

We, as humans are naturally greedy and selfish and to a greater extent stupid and oblivious to the damage we do. There is nothing you or anyone else can do about it.

Humans have the ability to live however we wish, without really worrying about consequences. You cant really think that many of us are going to alter our actions in order to prevent detriment in years to come, when we are capable of living now, oblivious and ignorant to things which will affect us much sooner. I walked the dog today and saw people sunbathing, smoking and drinking with no thought for the consequences, whatsoever. If they can do that and put the thought of skin and lung cancer to the back of their mind, you stand no chance getting them to worry about the long term future of mankind, the planet and such like.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.....and the need for system to adjust to the loss of the huge gap in age range from the denuding of the urban landscape,

will happen how?

It was a bad example but I was trying to explain how areas should be looked at on a wider scale and not just a tree in a back garden.

Having localised populations of species is a bad thing so there is a push at the moment, esp. with wildlife trusts to "link" areas up and create genetic diversity within the species.

Tony,

You need to get used to this kind of way of thinking as it is the thinking of human nature.

We, as humans are naturally greedy and selfish and to a greater extent stupid and oblivious to the damage we do. There is nothing you or anyone else can do about it.

Humans have the ability to live however we wish, without really worrying about consequences. You cant really think that many of us are going to alter our actions in order to prevent detriment in years to come, when we are capable of living now, oblivious and ignorant to things which will affect us much sooner. I walked the dog today and saw people sunbathing, smoking and drinking with no thought for the consequences, whatsoever. If they can do that and put the thought of skin and lung cancer to the back of their mind, you stand no chance getting them to worry about the long term future of mankind, the planet and such like.

But where is the honor in giving up?

Would ted green give up just cos a bunch of folk shout "shut up you looney tune" Nah, dont think so, he is more likely to reply in a suitable mode:laugh1:!

Fortunatley, i am not reliant on human nature in my cause, science backs it all up, and why do you think it is now law that we have to do a bat survey? protect red data species, insulate our homes.

The public can go about thier ignorant lives for all i care, they say ignorance is bliss, but they better not bitch and moan when they are FORCED to comply to a more "inclusional method"

But where is the honor in giving up?

Would ted green give up just cos a bunch of folk shout "shut up you looney tune" Nah, dont think so, he is more likely to reply in a suitable mode:laugh1:!

Fortunatley, i am not reliant on human nature in my cause, science backs it all up, and why do you think it is now law that we have to do a bat survey? protect red data species, insulate our homes.

The public can go about thier ignorant lives for all i care, they say ignorance is bliss, but they better not bitch and moan when they are FORCED to comply to a more "inclusional method"

Certain laws are brought in to help your causes because when we all feel a bit guilty its good to be able to say we are doing something. Such legislation is purely political, and only acts as a softener. Legislation that will actually make enough of a difference to put things right will never be used, because it would give too much inconvenience. Noone will vote for a party who will stop us doing things we want, for the sake of the environment.

Your ideas being backed up by science, have no weight. Smoking and riding motorbikes very fast can be scientifically proven to reduce MY life expectancy, but I still do both. If I can be stupid enough to do these things that affect MY life (the most important thing to me) you stand no chance stopping me doing things that will effect other people, in the future, in a way that I dont even understand.

Personally I dont think that the monolith, fracture pruning, leaving deadwood etc will effect our general work at all. I cant see many domestic customers wanting it and only a few commercial sites being interested or having the space where it wouldnt be a H&S issue.

I think people will get more interested in what happens to the log and brash as I have already had a few customers asking as there children are becoming more aware of recycling through school etc.:thumbup1:

I can see there not being that many large trees on the domestic scene within the next 20 years or so as more and more people get worried about the possible dangers and damage large trees can do.

As for the LA's they need a seriously good slapping around here as there tree planting scheme among others things is absolutely dire :thumbdown: Well I should say the largest one is, some of the smaller ones do a very good job tbh.

I can see there not being that many large trees on the domestic scene within the next 20 years or so as more and more people get worried about the possible dangers and damage large trees can do.

It's my understanding from hearing, reading & seeing tree stratergies here in London develope, that the above isn't what a lot of key people (within Consultancy, the Law Courts, Local Goverment) envisage happening at all.

I guess then, that time will be our keeper, and we can debate the outcome here when were all grey & too fat to climb :biggrin:

It's my understanding from hearing, reading & seeing tree stratergies here in London develope, that the above isn't what a lot of key people (within Consultancy, the Law Courts, Local Goverment) envisage happening at all.

I guess then, that time will be our keeper, and we can debate the outcome here when were all grey & too fat to climb :biggrin:

I'm going grey already. Ill never be to fat to climb though.:001_smile:

I just base my facts on what I see and hear on the domestic scene. Hopefully it wont happen but what people envisage and what happens is another matter.

I guess then, that time will be our keeper, and we can debate the outcome here when were all grey & too fat to climb

:thumbup1:

I for one have jumped aboard the Hamas train and I'm riding it all the way back to the garden of Eden. How many times have you been doing a small site clearance and sat down for lunch and listened to the birds singing, seen pockets of blue sky through the leaves above your head that seem to jingle in the breeze, and thought to yourself " is there anywhere i would rather be right now". Loads of times?

Well pass it on. Go for picnics instead of mcdonalds. Refuse point blank to "top" that 35ft sycamore and call the person a vandal if they get someone else to do it. Re-cycle all your waste, we now only put our green bin out once a fortnight because we sort our "waste". Offer your services to a local primary school to do a talk on trees, science and ecology.