Bugs, bees and beasties- Bio-diversity matters

White Noise

The lads I work with arent quite as sensitive toward the little things as me, but top marks to Dougey today. As blind as a bat this boy, but grinding away at a stump he manages to spot a group of 8 toads living in a decay pocket and rescued them for relocation to a land drain pipe!:thumbup1:

5976563ac4740_MewpAurivella2552010008.jpg.b5f185a4978fde2677c2150b60cf4d0e.jpg

I also found another playing peek a boo with me as i shot this young forming Ganoderma applanatum, can you see him!:thumbup:

5976563ac7dde_MewpAurivella2552010048.jpg.9374161bced5bc1ef4630b9209960122.jpg

How about now! :biggrin:

5976563acbb21_MewpAurivella2552010053.jpg.d15ba7b5805f3fd50c2d5386c2db4ead.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that there is never going to be any money involved with my passion for this stuff, but today was one of those rare and intimate moments that nature offers me, and to be honest I wouldnt take a 100k a year job in an office in exchange for these moments. When I tune into my macro vision and share a moment in the life of another organism, this critter held me fixed for a good five minutes as he probed away at an aging clump of Pholiota aurivella. i thought he might be taking on moisture and then to my utter suprise, delight and some horror, discovered it was actualy trying to extract grubs from the mushrooms. you can see one in his mandebals in the second image.:001_cool:

5976564ba20c3_Woodwaspetc4610077.jpg.18475bae3ecc75048fa72238092d73b0.jpg

5976564ba0114_Woodwaspetc4610072.jpg.20b990640e8b4bb90d279e50a048f336.jpg

( the hive is on a flat roof in urban situation)

Excellent! Did anybody see the Hugh Fearnley Whitt episode where he challenged the Hackney Honey lad to a tasting session in the city? The young lad has eight hives of bees on the flat roof of his East End house which produce up to 2,000 jars of honey a year. Local tasters at the Hackney Farmers Market ranked the Hackney Honey ahead of Hugh's country Devon honey and even Hugh himself preferred the city honey. Very interesting...fascinating little creatures :001_smile:

Excellent! Did anybody see the Hugh Fearnley Whitt episode where he challenged the Hackney Honey lad to a tasting session in the city? The young lad has eight hives of bees on the flat roof of his East End house which produce up to 2,000 jars of honey a year. Local tasters at the Hackney Farmers Market ranked the Hackney Honey ahead of Hugh's country Devon honey and even Hugh himself preferred the city honey. Very interesting...fascinating little creatures :001_smile:

Yes ! i saw that one too, hughs great, if a little eccentric!

I have wanted to try his elderflower wine recipe for ages!

maybe this summer!:thumbup1: