Aerial Rescue

wokka1976

Don't want to put your nose out Bob but i've heard of a different treatment. Get them down / out of the suspended situation, sit down - legs flat and body up, then if practical get EMT. Some paramedics don't get trained in this condition, the problems with the toxins are the same as with crush injuries.

If you want more info try,

http://www.suspensiontrauma.info

cheers for that very interesting

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries Bob, I've just run into it in the adventure sports / corporate entertainment world and quizzed a mountain guide that I know. If it gets to be common knowledge, it might save my ass one day!

does not really say how long or other stuff i think i will find out more and for now leave them sat on floor suspended by harness till i know more will keep all informed

I've only been in one situation were a rescue could have been required. As everyone knows i stuck a saw in my hand. I didn't stop to administer a large wound dressing i got the f**k out of the tree quick smart. mine wasn't overly serious but the blood was pissing out.

I'd hate to be in a position where aerial rescue was required. i can imagine it'd be pretty messy. All this thing about a climber with a cut leg needs rescued is crap. unless you're unconcious (from pain, bloodloss, being uneasy at the sight of blood etc etc ) you can still get out of the tree with.

I've only done aerail rescue on my course and we were given 12 mins to do it and the casualty was made to scream whcih does add a whole new element to it.

I know i can't cover every base with my above comments but the idea of hanging around concious waiting for someone while i apply alarge wound dressing seems absurd.

as for suspension trauma at our first aid refressher we were taught its like a crush injury. if you get them on the floor sit behind them and pull their knees to their chest feet on the floor. if after 15 mins you cannot get them out leave as is.

please don't quote me on that, check for yourselves.

Jamie

I always get the jeebies first thing in the morning just thinking about this topic- mainly on large dismantles, knowing a good size cut with the 44 or 66 would smart abit!:scared:

Once up the tree and cutting the worries disapear, just focus. Maybe that's the adrenilin working.

I think pole rescue is the most unlikely success, as groundie has to put spikes on.

Where possible a fixed rescue line is the best option on crown rescues imo.

The practicalities of moving the line all the time on dismantles is off putting but has to be the quickest option in an emergency.

I don't practice what I preach though but now will make an effort.

Eliminate the chances of serious injury when pruning by using handsaws where possible.

On reductions and thins using a 200t is unnesseccery imo.

Its gotta be said...fixed access line in canopy for rescue, yes. Handsaws where appropriate. Practice aerial rescue when you have slack day afternoons or whatever and complete your risk assessment prior to starting work. And yes...DONT one hand saw when you can attain a comfortable work position and use two hands. ONLY then can you say its absurd to find yourself up a tree and bleeding like you want someone to do something for you! IMO

P.S. I was impressed you make time for aerial rescue every month BTW wokka1976....you should take it seriously IMO.

We all like to think that we'd self-rescue ourselves (and hopefully that would be the case). The accidents I've personally seen have almost always resulted in the victim going into some form of shock, this would be enough to require an aerial rescue.

We should practice aerial rescue avoidance - safe working practice, rescue rope left in large/hard to climb trees and practice the 4 rescues with the kit and teams we work with.