buying Rope

jake

Ok, I'm possibly in the minority and may be one of the fortunate ones, but in my experience not all Local Authorities are as tight ars*ed as you appear to be suggesting.

I'm of the opinion that the first Port of Call for HSE spot checks, are more often than not the LA tool sheds.

So this follows that we must do all that is reasonally practicable and keep up with industry best practice in terms of Training/Technique, Loler checks, Equipment and above all else PPE.

Whether you be a Team Leader, Supervisor or Manager you are not doing your job if your not pushing for the budget to achieve this.

Originally Posted by jake

I'm just about to start a new job for council, have to buy my own kit, have previously used employers

It may not appear to be sensible choice in the short term, but my advise to you Jake, is push for being kitted out, or do a quick about turn and get yourself employed by a more consiencious/professional employer. :wave:

The problem is many of the Tree Officers in the North West have to explain all this to managers above them, many of which have worked there way off the bins and into those positions, they dont understand that you may need an item of kit to do the job safely/efficently etc as they have no clue about the job...... I have admaration for LA tree folk as they have to put up with alot of crap and struggle to justify there jobs over bin men for usually many £'s less....

Thats my experience of the North Manchester/North Wset area .......

Maybe budjets are bigger down south and you are lucky..

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats my experience of the North Manchester/North Wset area .......

Maybe budjets are bigger down south and you are lucky..

Chris, i like to think that I'm a realist and not naive to the geographical and financial differences between LAs.

Whilst there may be merit in your last point, I really think some people need to get of their arses and go make more of a case for there requirements.

I see too many middle managers just sit and accept there lot in terms of budgets without doing any homework on which departments are getting what and why.

Look at history, relationships and above all else, Industry statistics to help your case.

If you're not getting the right answers from your line managers, then go to the next level.

We supply many different Councils and see a lot of difference between them, budget wise. Some good and some bad never heard of a Council not willing to supply a rope think if you pushed it they would budge. A large Council down south even buys 200 bottles of suncream for their staff from me thats taken PPE to a new level.

My experience with LAs is that they are more likely to issue you with suncream, and make you sign for it, than to give you a cambium saver.

Reasoning, they are more concerned about being sued over skin cancer than caring for their tree stock.

The trouble is the climbing kit is to expensive from the climbing kit to the boots ect.... just for the basics why soooo expensive!

I really don't think its that expensive,IMO,if you think its too expensive you need to charge more for your work:icon14:

I really don't think its that expensive,IMO,if you think its too expensive you need to charge more for your work:icon14:

I thinking buying a complete kit from scratch is expensive, say if you were employed then went self-employed, or starting out.

But once you have it, it earns you money and keeping it uptogether is relatively cheap.

A large Council down south even buys 200 bottles of suncream for their staff from me thats taken PPE to a new level.

its a requirement!!!! the last firm i was at started to refuse then i told them i was gonna get burnt and have a week off recovering just because they were too tight..... the next morning there it was:proud:

back to the rope tho..... ive only ever had 37m and there is always a branch that you can anchor on lower down on the final decent, ive got a 25m, 37m, 1m and 4m ropes and surprisinglyly i use the 25m most of the time