stumpgrinding price per inch

John Shutler

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont you find over the phone quoting a bit nhit and miss Dave, or do you just say thats a rough idea ?

Yeah it's a rough estimate based on the size, not taking into account any potential access issues.

I price per inch, £3 per inch say on one stump but if there is loades i lower the price or it gets silly that way i get a min amount and im not going out for 30 quid, price per inch is good as Dave said it means you can give a rough price over the prhone and saves loades of miles to look at a crappy stump. I give customers the measurments i need to get access, so far not had a problem. I dont mind knocking a few quid of tree/landscape work but not grinding, the machines are to expensive and maintanance intensive to use for nowt.

If there local say 3 miles i will pop out and have a look, any further that that and its over the blower.

I price per inch, £3 per inch say on one stump but if there is loades i lower the price or it gets silly that way i get a min amount and im not going out for 30 quid, price per inch is good as Dave said it means you can give a rough price over the prhone and saves loades of miles to look at a crappy stump. I give customers the measurments i need to get access, so far not had a problem. I dont mind knocking a few quid of tree/landscape work but not grinding, the machines are to expensive and maintanance intensive to use for nowt.

If there local say 3 miles i will pop out and have a look, any further that that and its over the blower.

You should have a minimum charge anyway, mine is £50 -60. Then ontop of that I reckon on £60 per hour nice and steady plus a set of finger teeth and juice

By your reckoning Ian you'll end up charging £30 for a 10" stump that could be down steps and across 50ft wide flower beds :001_smile:

with regards touching teeth up with a grinder and Green disk? is it worth doing

Little and often John, your better touching them up every couple of hours on finger teeth rather than having to grind loads off to square a rounded edge.

Grinder and diamond disc though :thumbup1:

John, I thinnk £2-3 per inch is about the going rate, with a minimu charge of whatever the firm has to earn to cover costs which is normally btween £50-100.

Pricing per inch can come unstuck on larger stumps over around 2ft as they generally have larger butresses that arnt visible from above ground.

Other factors include access for machines, if you can get in a larger HP machine etc and obviously number of stumps on site, and depth of grinding required.

I prefer to quote per stump, 9/10 we have taken the tree down anyway so I will have seen the stump before hand.

i dont understand how youy can price a stump by the inch. an 18 inch stump has an area of 1017.87602 square inches, where as a 6 inch stump has an area of

113.09734 square inches. so you are charging 3 times as much for nearly 10 times the work.

i dont understand how youy can price a stump by the inch. an 18 inch stump has an area of 1017.87602 square inches, where as a 6 inch stump has an area of

113.09734 square inches. so you are charging 3 times as much for nearly 10 times the work.

I price the same as the others £2-£3 an inch and minimum of £50-£70 depending on what machine I use. But as you say the volume does increase drastically.

I was going to look into making some sort of excel sheet to calculate it all(with the help of an old customer who thought I was bonkers pricing it up the way we do!) but , I, err never did:blushing: