electric winch

jose

I am after a electric winch to pull my timberwolf 125 into my garage. I have mains electric already in.

Getting peed off having to use my current setup ( a manual boat winch) which works but at the end of a long day is the last thing i need.

Problem i am having is i can only find vehicle winches (12V) or hoist winches.

Anybody got any ideas?

I dont really fancy the hassel of having a car battery to power a 12V winch, cost thats a bit cowboy like and also would then have to constantly have it on tricle charge. It would proberly knacker the battery quickly too im guessing.

I am not able to back the chipper in with my truck due to not been able to see it at all behind the chip box and the gradient proberly been too stepp for it.

Cheers

Jose

Try looking for hoists rather than winches. Winches tend to be 12/24 volt making them suitable for vehicle mounting. Hoists tend to be in buildings and are usually mains powered.

Here’s one on’th ebay

CLARKE CHP400 240V ELECTRIC HOIST/WINCH IN PWO. on eBay (end time 09-May-10 18:35:19 BST)

Andy

If you go for this set up yo will have to put in a re-direct as that system has a safety cut out switch built in if the line is at an angle. It will work as I use one for pulling big red stags into my larder!:thumbup:

As far as the 12v/24v thing goes you could use a model railway style transformer; 240v ac straight down to 12v dc.

Oh by the way - I've got an 'MVP 12 volt heavy duty automotive winch, Model I-9600' you could have a go with. Made by the Shinn Fu Company of America, Inc. I know nothing abut it, not even if it works - but you're welcome to try it. I was given it to get rid of!

6,000lbs rolling load capacity, boxed, owner's manual included.

Don't know where you are but I'm in Caterham, Surrey. The thing weighs ~25-30lbs I guess.

PM to laugh at me or if interested.

Jon

If you go for this set up yo will have to put in a re-direct as that system has a safety cut out switch built in if the line is at an angle. It will work as I use one for pulling big red stags into my larder!:thumbup:

Like this one?? :lol::lol::lol:

After.jpg.c21775c9bf46591c469400f04f29e1e4.jpg

I have a LDV convoy crewcab so dont know if a towbar can be put on the front.

Thanks for the offer on the winch, though i will pass as i am over in Bracknell, berks and i simply dont have the time unfortunately to pop round.

I will have a look into the hoists, to see if they work on their sides.

cheers for the help

Jose

I have a LDV convoy crewcab so dont know if a towbar can be put on the front.

Thanks for the offer on the winch, though i will pass as i am over in Bracknell, berks and i simply dont have the time unfortunately to pop round.

I will have a look into the hoists, to see if they work on their sides.

cheers for the help

Jose

Your insurers would consider a front tow point a modification and might want a few quid more.

Some hoists will work at out of the vertical, some have an interlock to stop it.

It might be an idea to mount the hoist on a wall and run the cable through a pulley at the desired height. Get as much distance between the pulley and drum as possible to get a good “lay”, on the drum that is!