vt failure causes bad fall

gingertreeninja

No, you maybe didnt bring LOLER into the discussion. BUT, you did say you didnt want to discuss it, then made the comment "this LOLER garbage". Do you really expect that would not provoke a response?

What does "I wonder why." mean?

Take a chill pill mate, it will probably do your sanity a lot of good:thumbup1:

Maybe if people didnt go out of there way to wind me and question every single comment I make or opinion I have I might :laugh1:

That could be seen as paranoia but I have looked over all my last posts so I know it aint.:biggrin:

I type more or less the way I speak I dont want to spend ages dithering over what I type in case it bothers someone or comes across wrongly and I would hope others see it that way.

The I wonder bit means exactly what it says I wonder why my opinion was picked up on and not others?

Anyhow mate I an going to take a chill pill or 4 so I'll end my involvement in this thread by just saying I hope the guy gets back on track soon and as LSD says hopefully it will prevent future accidents.:thumbup1:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This thread has gone downhill.

Let me try and summarise.

Guy is injured after slipping off a branch because of epicormic growth, vt system was tight and therefore did not catch him, hope he makes a full recovery soon.

There are sooooo many why's and wherefores to go into as to how this happened. We weren't there, we don't know.

Risk management that he and or company could take from this incident is vast: was there an easier way to access the tree? Was there an over confidence or lack of experience with that particular climbing system? Was the system suited to that type of access? Was the hitch cord suited to the rope? Was he tired and or not concentrating? Was he being rushed? And so on and so on.

The vt knot is IMO second to none as a work positioning knot, it isn't however a knot you would use for fall arrest. Which is what happened here.

I for one don't believe that the vt caused the fall, it just didn't cure it, that doesn't make it The knots fault. Simples.

This could be one

was the cord suitable

hopefully a loler guy would of said so

earlier a guy says he uses 7mm and later admits he does not have loler SUPPRISE

and anyone who says this is totally climber error is misguided

you all know just how this happened and it is KNOT related

And you can all picture just how it happened

I am not saying the climber is not at fault but this is the exact reason I do not climb on this system and have always said so

ergonomically it is a good system but thats it imo

come on fight back:thumbup:

Is a hitch kit??

Or is it the implementation of kit??

I would say the latter, neither the rope nor cord failed, it was the way they were used!!!:001_tt2:

Some very valid points on here . Surely the fact that lots of guys are saying they have had difficulties on the VT speaks volumes . I have tryed said knot got it working a treat and out of the blue it decides not to bite . Back on a prussik little bit more work involved but dont you just know that its going to hold 100% of the time .

VT = Very Temperamental :001_tt2:

Some very valid points on here . Surely the fact that lots of guys are saying they have had difficulties on the VT speaks volumes . I have tryed said knot got it working a treat and out of the blue it decides not to bite . Back on a prussik little bit more work involved but dont you just know that its going to hold 100% of the time .

VT = Very Temperamental :001_tt2:

Not if used properly.