vt failure causes bad fall

gingertreeninja

Well you are checking it just quickly and it sounds like its something you do often.

No I'm not a LOLER inspector and I dont need to be to check kit. And I dont have to get someone else to check it its only recommended that you do.

Getting someone to look at your kit every 6 months is pointless imo.

I'm not getting into this LOLER garbage as I've said enough in the past about how pointless I think it is.

If the insurance company wanna riggle out of anything I'm sure they will find a way LOLER inspections or not.

Are you saying then, you know better than the LOLER tester? Seems a strange attitude when you are not qualified to make such judgements:confused1:

I suppose it would be like a customer choosing someone unqualified to prune his trees and saying, "Oh, those guys who are qualified to do it dont know what they are doing"

No wonder an insurance company would try and "wriggle out of it" with an attitude like that!

Oh, and for what its worth, it is your obligation to check your kit every day and have written records every week.:001_rolleyes:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This could be one

was the cord suitable

hopefully a loler guy would of said so

earlier a guy says he uses 7mm and later admits he does not have loler SUPPRISE

and anyone who says this is totally climber error is misguided

you all know just how this happened and it is KNOT related

And you can all picture just how it happened

I am not saying the climber is not at fault but this is the exact reason I do not climb on this system and have always said so

ergonomically it is a good system but thats it imo

come on fight back:thumbup:

Not wanting to carry this whole debate on too much but yes, as you stated the accident was knot related but it wasn't the knots fault. V.t users are aware (or should be) of the potential of the knot breaking and not gripping. Not checking This IS climber error.

We all know chainsaws are dangerous and we treat them with he respect. They deserve but an injury occured by lack of concentration is no he chainsaws fault for being sharp?

Food for thought.

I've used the VT for a while, I found it very easy to use but had an unpleasant experience with it whilst ascending with a pantine. It failed to bite and I found I instantly lost confidence in it!:thumbdown:. I got a split tail sent up and got straight back on a blakes hitch for the rest of the job!. I then moved on to a Knut, which has never let me down and self-tends nicely with a bit of rope-weight under it:thumbup1:. I tend to use a lock-jack and rope guide alot these days due to a old wrist break giving me gip - very ergonomic in the right tree:thumbup: (and a pain in the arris in the wrong one!:thumbdown:)

Was considering trying this out, after this post though and the varied experiences of you guys. I will stick with the Prussik, never let me down and as I'm under no pressure when climbing then speed is not an issue.

For me it's not broken so it doesn't need changing.

I think its worth trying, but not until the climber is experienced and confident on prussik/blakes hitch/klemheist etc. These days a lot of newer climbers I meet are learning to run before they can walk. I personally wouldn't use a VT on an everyday basis...but we're all different. I know a bloke who had 6 - 8 foot fall on rope when his prussik slipped on him working in the rain. His back was badly injured and he was in hospital for weeks, he now works as a foreman and rarely climbs, so the prussik isn't bomb-proof. Keep safe out there fellas!

Are you saying then, you know better than the LOLER tester? Seems a strange attitude when you are not qualified to make such judgements

I suppose it would be like a customer choosing someone unqualified to prune his trees and saying, "Oh, those guys who are qualified to do it dont know what they are doing"

No wonder an insurance company would try and "wriggle out of it" with an attitude like that!

Oh, and for what its worth, it is your obligation to check your kit every day and have written records every week.:001_rolleyes:

How on earth did you come to that conclusion from my comment you highlighted. :confused1:

Because I think its pointless doesnt mean I said I know better!!

An as for the other stuff you said.:001_huh:

Anyway from what I've read on here not all LOLER inspectors agree on the same thing.

An whats being qualified got to do with having an opinion?

I was wondering when you were going to say something tbh:001_smile:

Based upon that comment alone, you obviously realised some of your practices and views were going to be challenged.

Thats why I put this line underneath it mate.

I'm not getting into this LOLER garbage as I've said enough in the past about how pointless I think it is.

I didnt bring LOLER into this thread and I wasnt the first one to basically say they wouldnt use a VT and that the knot slips etc.

Its just that for some reason my opinion got jumped on!

I wonder why.:sneaky2:

I think VT is a excellent hitch and it’s what I use, but I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody. You have to keep check on it, ( becomes automatic pretty quickly after a few slips) plus it becomes a bit of an obsession, constantly trying out different combinations of cord, lengths raps and braids, but that’s what I like about it, keeps life interesting, In fact in my company (about 100+ cutters) I’m think I’m the only one who has the patience to use it. Most people just want to turn up earn there money and go home, don’t have time/or care about trying out new stuff. fair play to them and a few of them are better climbers than I‘ll ever be,

As for branch rolling haven’t attempted one of them in 3 years, far too painful, let alone with a VT/hc setup all that stuff digging into you,. if worst come to worse, and I had to do ,I’d probably just use my lanyard, clipped between the two Ds on my leg loops. If that make sense.

Anyway sorry to here about this guy and hope he makes a full recovery, and maybe this thread will help it not happen again:thumbup1:

Thats why I put this line underneath it mate.

I didnt bring LOLER into this thread and I wasnt the first one to basically say they wouldnt use a VT and that the knot slips etc.

Its just that for some reason my opinion got jumped on!

I wonder why.:sneaky2:

No, you maybe didnt bring LOLER into the discussion. BUT, you did say you didnt want to discuss it, then made the comment "this LOLER garbage". Do you really expect that would not provoke a response?

What does "I wonder why.:sneaky2:" mean?

Take a chill pill mate, it will probably do your sanity a lot of good:thumbup1: