bees

dannyT

Got a hive and colony of bees this week. hopefully lots of nice pots of honey in the future mmmmmm :001_smile:

Me and the missus have wanted to keep bees for sometime and help keep numbers up but were unsure how to go about it. A mate whos well into bee keeping helped us out for a percentage of the honey.

Heres some pics introducing the bees to the hive.

Is there anymore arb talkers into keeping bees?

597655f3aa407_dannyspics367.jpg.9ff0f9440c6dbc9e17d0bc26f6a0ee9c.jpg

597655f3a660e_dannyspics373.jpg.8b3773cd72d5c2380ae44860353c013c.jpg

597655f3a475b_dannyspics372.jpg.9aa640e97cc5554ef0665a85994c26da.jpg

597655f3a1d75_dannyspics369.jpg.57c66f4bc21842fed3c8aa486ca41ad3.jpg

597655f39f0b6_dannyspics368.jpg.1fc74a61462fe77593dbdef632d1fb76.jpg

Good for you!

Got the books and have some hives in the orchard but not as yet my own swarm, have friends who are keepers but as yet havnt taken up the challenge.

They all have suffered losses this year and are waiting for the hives to hopefully swarm so they can split them up.

My Mam keeps them Danny, and she would be happy to answer questions if you need.

She's in Northumberland, though, and some of her stuff is heather honey. Lovely!

Remember taking a swarm with her as a youngster. Bit of disco leg on that job, I can tell you!

there was a chap who got into trouble with council near me as he was keeping them in his front garden on nearby council house estate, do you have to own a field or some land or something?

No, but you need to be responsible about where you put a hive and what temperment the bees are, i have heard of many people keeping hives on flat rooves as the bees are then out of the line of walkers by etc,

I find many landowners are more than happy to let you have a corner of a field in return for a few jars of honey.

C B