My new Hobbs H2

RC0

I want to chime in here....of course :)

I disagree with what you said and here is why:

Yes I am a GRCS person but the bottom line is that ANY lowering device makes your job much easier and because you DO NOT have to take wraps around the trunk, you IMMEDIATELY see that the jobs go faster.

Hobbs, Grcs, Porta-wrap, it does not matter. Once you realize that you can whip a wrap around the (device of your choice), lower the limb, then undo the wrap and haul the lowering line back up to the climber, really really quickly, then you understand that ANY LOWERING device is MUCH FASTER, easier on your ropes, and much safer.

No, a capstan, lowering device, whatever is MUCH MUCH faster....

Frans I don't really know anyone who takes wraps round the tree anymore.

For basic lowering a capstan is practically as fast as a Hobbs/grcs which was my point.

Now after having seen Reg's video (I had not seen it when I posted) I think it illustrates my point nicely.

With the Hobbs he was able to winch and lower a chipper down a embankment to get it into position to make the job that much easier, rather than I assume chuck the brush up the bank or get a vehicle stuck in a field.

Also the ability crane/lift piece's off in the tree and lower them in a controled manner.

All this takes a little extra time to set-up but in the end makes the job more smooth and controlled.

There are more possibilities, but its not nescersarily quicker than using a capstan.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I occasionally take wraps round the tree, its usefull to know.

I have a "rope of shame" especially for such occasion, I even lower myself in the tree by taking wraps round the branch, but i'm only talking about 1 piece and I cannot be bothered to setup a lowering system.

I'm a true pikey at heart.

Still prefer using our GRCS though, and Reg your ropeman soon got the hang of letting those bits run, took us a while to adjust to the ali drum on ours, I put this down to the larger surface area of the drum giving more friction than a capstan.

I too take wraps around the tree in certain situations.

One point about wraps is that it is very easy to control the 'run' of the wood.

All of these lowering devices require the operator to learn to work them properly. You have a much larger margin of error in taking wraps.

On a capstan (grcs, hobbs, portawrap, etc) the 'edge' of when you have purchase is very small.

Nice work and great video. You can cut a flat notch into the tree to keep the Hobbs from sliding on big pieces. QUOTE]

Very nice footage yet again Mr C, my two boys keep saying is that you at work daddy?

" Of course it is boys! " :awink:

Agree with OM on losing the creepage. Good advice :icon14:.

The Sycamore in the pics were not in need of big Ed, we were playing with the set up.

We found notching definately mitigates this creepage, and makes the system fit snug as a bug in a rug.

So much so that you can take off the strap and Ed will sit there defying gravity as if by magic.

Looking forward to your review Reg. :wave:

P3060042.jpg.a0d02d5547b0b31a96edea9a911f31ab.jpg

P3060041.jpg.1dc82b009e9378947f2821bba104443e.jpg