Toxic?

Klaymeb

John - I've got the Wickes one too actually, it's got a much lower toxic stuff content on the back but I haven't tried it yet as it looks quite dark? What colour do you use?

Does anyone know where you can get a fairly cheap (preferably not highly toxic :001_tongue:) clear preservative? I know Barrattine do one but wondered what everyone else uses

Yacht varnish watered down a bit with white spirit?

Not so healthy whilst wet, but once dry is practically edible :confused1:

Would say "tung oil" but that's just as bad cost wise but does penetrate quite deep...

There are danish oil + tung oil mixes that are cheaper though...

Nice shroom btw :thumbup1:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good preservatives are bad for you.

It’s a bit of an inverse proportionality thing, the less “toxic” it is, the less it will kill off pathogens and the less effective it will be as a preservative.

Most recently the eurocrats decreed that “Creosote” is bad for us and had to be re formulated to remove all the bits that made it work, now you can paint your timber with the new “brown water” formulation and watch it rot.

Wrap me up in cotton wool and protect me from myself!

Ho Hum.

That is a nice shroom though

Edited by treequip
PS

Yacht varnish watered down a bit with white spirit?

Not so healthy whilst wet, but once dry is practically edible :confused1:

Would say "tung oil" but that's just as bad cost wise but does penetrate quite deep...

There are danish oil + tung oil mixes that are cheaper though...

Nice shroom btw :thumbup1:

All these compliments! :blushing:

I thought about tung/danish oil when I was at a wood turning class the other day but as you say they seem to come in small amounts and are quite expensive.. do you know of any particular mixes I could look for?

Good preservatives are bad for you.

It’s a bit of an inverse proportionality thing, the less “toxic” it is, the less it will kill off pathogens and the less effective it will be as a preservative.

Most recently the eurocrats decreed that “Creosote” is bad for us and had to be re formulated to remove all the bits that made it work, now you can paint your timber with the new “brown water” formulation and watch it rot.

Wrap me up in cotton wool and protect me from myself!

Ho Hum.

That is a nice shroom though

Thanks for the post :001_smile:

Yeah I know exactly what you mean.. if it was for me or any of my family I'd use a big vat of poisonous decent stuff :001_tongue: but I'm just trying to cover myself for anyone trying to cash in on the whole "I thought it was an actual mushroom so I tried to eat it and had a seven hour operation, where's my cheque" thang :sneaky2: might sound paranoid but that's the sort of bad luck I seem to have :thumbdown:

I'm thinking if I just mention the preservative contents on the carving's label it should relieve me of that sort of responsibility?

If it's fine when it's dry then it's not a problem

I wont bother complementing you on how good the mushroom looks since you already have plenty:001_smile:

If your worried about the H&S aspect of what preservative to use I would just put a note with the products on what it contains.

It is a piece of garden furniture/decoration just like a bench, chair table etc so I would hope you cant be liable if someone wants to lick it.:001_smile:

If it was a chopping board or bowl then thats a bit different.

Don't put anything on it, except maybe some veg oil. I don't use any preservative on any of my outdoor stuff - hate it. But that's just me I guess.

I agree, don't need to varnish it. I wait till they are seasoned then sand em down with a grinder if I want a nice smooth look. Maybe linseed oil but need lots of applications.

On Toxicity. Most paints and varnishes emit VOC's for a long time after application. Volatile Organic Compounds are I believe reckoned to be carcinogenic so they just add to the cocktail that we are exposed to. The new car smell is down to VOC's by the way.

I think its a better vibe for your shrume :001_smile: not to make it contribute to the toxic mix in this world.

edit : nice shroom by the way

Edited by Albedo

Thanks for the post :001_smile:

Yeah I know exactly what you mean.. if it was for me or any of my family I'd use a big vat of poisonous decent stuff :001_tongue: but I'm just trying to cover myself for anyone trying to cash in on the whole "I thought it was an actual mushroom so I tried to eat it and had a seven hour operation, where's my cheque" thang :sneaky2: might sound paranoid but that's the sort of bad luck I seem to have :thumbdown:

I'm thinking if I just mention the preservative contents on the carving's label it should relieve me of that sort of responsibility?

If it's fine when it's dry then it's not a problem

If you are selling them to Joe public you need to label them with what treatment you have used.

Since you have a natural product I would use something nice and “bio” and label it as such and push the bio angle on the marketing.