How/why did you get into treework?

Andy Collins

Got arrested at 15 sent to a detention center that trained delinquents in the woods to run chainsaws, chippers, and thin out forrests. Got out, got a job on a dutch elm crew because of chainsaw experience, later needed a job again and started with a tree service. Lied to get the job, but the owner liked my work, and agreed to teach me how to climb. Tried several other occupations, but always ended up back in the trees. 31 years later..still climbing. Now own my own company...or the company owns me...not exactly sure sometimes which way that works.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started in '82 as a holiday job with an Uncle who had been felling and tushing before the 2nd war with his Dad and Uncles, who had been doing it before the 1st war. Liked the work, was good at it, so stayed away from Uni. Ended up 17 years later running 12 guys doing mainly line work all over the east midlands. Lost the contract to others who swore they could more for less. They couldn't, we had liquidated and moved on, still do the occasional bit and the rush is still there! A 17year holiday job, not bad heh!

went to college for 2 years to become a grease monkey, then my dad met a new lady and here brother in law worked for mr barrell, wasnt long befor i asked him to bring his ropes over because it looked fun!!!!!! 3 weeks later i was going to a college and working for a aa approved company in leicestershire, i think it was a case of right man at the right time!!!!!

never looked back, now 4 yrs on im self imployed making a decent wage

After college and cattin' around for a few years, took a job with the US Forest Service as a reforestation technician in Western Oregon, USA...and it turns out you need seed to grow trees...and it further turns out that you have to climb trees to harvest cones to get seed.

The FS trained and certified me in climbing, rigging, and chainsaw use...still does on a repeating basis.

I do alot of things besides climb, but it's just about the most rewarding.

• 2 months later...

Got married aged 20, rented house had open fire,and estate i rent from had a lot of dead elms,as a boy i had always gone with my dad to cut down dead or unwanted trees for the fire wood,so i bought a secondhand husky 266 with 20 inch bar and started felling at the weekend and cutting up for fire wood.Then got £500 gas bill so fitted wood burner with back boiler and upped production.At the time i was working in a foundry,but slipped a disc in my neck while grinding the snots of castings,while of ill i must of been walking bad with my head up and slipped a disc in my back.After 2 months on sick got sacked not worked there long enough to take to tribunal.Started working as a window cleaner,like being outside,but found it boring and repetitive.Saw job advert for grounds man,but it said you need you NPTC,i rang and said i had no ticket,but had my own saw and was keen.Started on £30 a day with my own saw self-employed.Worked with a very good climber,thought i'd love to do that.Sold my push bike for £200 and bought some second hand climbing gear.Climbed at work when ever i could and went out at the weekend and dismantled dead elms.After getting a bit more experience went and got assesed for tickets 20,21 and 22.

The two climbers where i was working left to setup on there own,so left with them,didn't work out.

Started subing to a couple of firms,one was a long established firm that felled for timber,the boss was a great guy who taught me more than any one before or since.Needed more climbing as both firms would keep me going full time,but not always climbing,so did a days trial for fountain forestry,as it was called then,They said they'd give me as many days as i wanted.All went well for a while working for the 3 firms,then the taxman changed the rules on labour only subies and fountain decided they were not having any subies at all.I went to the taxman and got a letter to say i was OK,but they said there were no exceptions and wanted me to go employed so i borrowed some money,bought a chipper and subbed to them with a small two man crew,advertised for domestic work.

And never looked back,when the rain is running down the back of my neck i just think back to the foundry and remeber how lucky i am.

After 4 odd years it was time to make a real living out of this and its in its early stages but its looking very good for me i have all the right people around me oldman owns a treecompany brother works for another alot of my mates work in the tree ind.

Money is not the issue for me tho but i want to create a succsesful business which i can be proud of one that offers exceptional quality with honest prices

Love being outside love trees love climbing ill never do anything else Cant get enough of them summer days logging up. The smell of sawchips freinds working with you having a good laugh and earning abit of money And the pride in what i do. :cheers:

always involved in gardening with my dad as a youngster, loved hard work and being outside. tree surgeon bought parents house. dad made me do school work experience with them (loved the guys), did weekends and holidays. finished school did a degree in arb, started travelling haven't stopped. learnt so much, met so many, found love and direction. 8 years later i reckon that weeks work experience was the most worthwhile step of my life. i must love it otherwise i wouldn't be on this bloody forum

Born into an orchard family with strong military ties, used a grafting knife before my first teddy bear and a chainsaw as much as an automatic weapon.

Treework is safer than the alternative and saving things instead of killing things makes more sense.