Waste Transfer Licence

bareroots

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALL, many apologies.

I'm afraid I'm a bit of the 'chocolate fireguard' syndrome and thanks to '18 Stoner' for the prompt, albeit it came through a 'PM' whihc is fine but relies on me coming on line and I'm just stupidly busy at the moment (NOT an excuse, but a very genuine explanation!) Next time if you can either 'poke' me via the AA box, which then comes stright into my AA email in-box, or directly [email protected], I'll get back to you quicker...apologies again!

I've not got time to read all the posts here but I think it's the issue I raised about contacting the EA and asking them to review their position statement on 'virgin timber', which is exempted to the WCL requirement, to extend this to include 'clean' green woodchip...correct? (I know there's also been talk about haulage and vehicles etc. and that's a potential minefield I'm keen to avoid if at all poss.)

Anyway I'm afraid I've done nothing further at this stage but I guess we first need confirmation of excatly what we want, I know this is not to have to purchase a WCL but we need to have a clear justification and reason why, and then how best to present this...electronic peteition, Face book (???...how old are we?, not a clue I'm afraid).

I'm happy to front this AND add the AA weight to it but I have to be quite honest with you and say I simply cannot progress this at the moment without assistance. Would anyone, 'in the know', be perpared to get involved with the collating of opinions/petittions etc. to help to move it forward?...PLEASE!

I can commit some time to put the existing situation/scenario picture togther and present the justification for change but don't have the time/not sure how best to harness/present the support...please work with me on this one as 'the industry'...thanks!

Paul

PS I know this sounds a bit pathetic (on my part) but is there anyway of transferring this thread to the AA box, so it keeps banging on my door, OR to start 'afresh' in there? It's just that I'm SH*T at finding my way back to particular threads which are importnat.

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)

Well said Dean.:thumbup1:

I will pay for a license when they drag me through the courts kicking and screaming and when they finally make it clear that tree surgery does not require one I will laugh my little cotton socks off at you lot that have given up and bought one at the first hurdle :001_smile:

Couldnt agree more. I will sit in court arguing about the semantics of and definition of the word waste, and if the judge wants to consider something i have a use for as waste, then i will get a licence, and furthermore, if i get stopped and accused of carrying waste i wont back down untill i have been to court. All this claptrap in that EA PDF is irrelevant as it is drawn up by a bunch of civil SERVANTS in an office and has no bearing WHATSOEVER to the reality of guys like us in our daily work. I have a use for every single arising from tree surgery, so it is NOT waste.

"Definition of Waste

"Any substance or object the holder discards, intends to discard or is required to discard"

Taken from the european Waste Framework Directive.

The more we all panic and buy their bullsh it licences the more they wil create licences and fine-able offences.

Just thought of an interesting paradox (don't know if that's the right word, prob not, but like the sound of it) here.

That is, if the EA are happy for us to self-declare an exemption for the requirement for a Waste Transfer Licence, i.e. a para. 21 exemption, with regard to storage of woodchip then surely that's an acknowledgement that provider the 'storer' can demonstare they are recycling/re-using the product it is NOT waste....next they view it as a commodity and tax it!

Still, just banging ideas around that may support our case when I make it to EA.

Cheers..

Paul

Yup, to be honest I'm not entirely 'au fait' with the Waste Transfer requiremenst but my understanding is that the Para.21 exemption, involving the 'storage' of woodchip, is a means of avoiding the need to register as a wastre transfer centre requiring a licence. Hence my point that if they allow this then surely that goes some way to acknowledging wood chip isn't really waste but a usuable product.

There is no reason why the WCL cannot be turned into a declaration the same as the WTL in my opinion.

Also, in my opinion, a declassification should apply to any clean virgin arisings that are recycled into a product, therefore seperating the term "waste" from "recyclable". Perhaps the exemption could be called a "recyclable product carrier" Lol!

Then, if you carry waste, you need to apply and pay for a WCL. If you only carry clean virgin arisings that are to be recycled, you need to apply for a free exemtion.

However, an operator should still apply for a WCL if they are taking any virgin waste to landfill.

I wonder if landfill sites should have a compulsary order on them to take down details of the operators WCL prior to tipping? I believe at present some ask for it, some dont.

Feel free to comment.

• 1 year later...