First aid, the ultimate arbs kit?

And how exactly do you improvise a turniquet hanging 50 ft above the ground with a serious arterial bleeding from your left arm?

YOU DON'T!

If I had a serious arterial bleed in the tree the last thing I would be doing is arsing around with a tourniquet (of any kind).

An arterial bleed will have you impaired in moments. If you go unconscious in the tree you will no longer be able to effectively manage the wound or descend to help and you will probably die hanging from the end of a rope.

If you have a bleed get down to the ground immediately then treat the wound on the ground or allow others to, now that they can actually reach you.

Andy

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had a serious arterial bleed in the tree the last thing I would be doing is arsing around with a tourniquet (of any kind).

An arterial bleed will have you impaired in moments. If you go unconscious in the tree you will no longer be able to effectively manage the wound or descend to help and you will probably die hanging from the end of a rope.

If you have a bleed get down to the ground immediately then treat the wound on the ground or allow others to, now that they can actually reach you.

Andy

Couldn't agree more. The best thing a bleeding climber can do is get back down to where the (hopefully trained and prepared) groundie is ready to assist him. The climbers I work with tend to leave a route for immediate descent if needed, thus reducing the need for them to be rescued.

And how exactly do you improvise a turniquet hanging 50 ft above the ground with a serious arterial bleeding from your left arm?

YOU DON'T!

No disrespect here and please dont take this the wrong way, but that is a very dumb question :001_smile: do you really want an answer to that question ??

Surely its the first aid training NOT the first aid kit thats more important??

Wether it be £30 or £500 worth of kit, if you dont know how to use what you have, Its all useless anyway.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, Ive not read all the thread :blushing::laugh1:

Wether it be £30 or £500 worth of kit, if you dont know how to use what you have, Its all useless anyway.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, Ive not read all the thread :blushing::laugh1:

You need both Liam, but I agree that having the kit without the knowledge to use it can give a dangerous false sense of security.

Spot on Liam, you can use anything at your disposal to improvise if you know how

Andy

I'd still spend 20-30 seconds mounting the turniquet to stop the bleeding, before attempting the descend to avoid bleeding to death mid-descend.

How quickly did you make it to the ground (one handed) last time you did a rescue-excercise without having prepared for it (i.e. whenever someone blows a whistle)?

But I'd really like to know someone doing a bit of research on what the most sensible thing to do is in these situations.

You need both Liam, but I agree that having the kit without the knowledge to use it can give a dangerous false sense of security.

Aye yeah you do need both BUT simple large wound dressings (blood stoppers) will do for most cuts we are likely to get, Applying pressure is the best thing, Rupes post is very valid in my area, Its all urban stuff, so a phone call will usually see an ambulance there in no time, if pressure is applied til the ambulance gets there its happy days and you pass the problem on.

No disrespect here and please dont take this the wrong way, but that is a very dumb question :001_smile: do you really want an answer to that question ??

No offence taken!

It was a retorical question (as I provided the answer myself) :sneaky2:

My point is that it is very difficult to improvise a turniquet one-handed with blood flowing from your left arm. So the life-saving first-aid tools must be ready to use.