First aid, the ultimate arbs kit?

Yes, I know your not quite getting what I mean. Accidents do happen in tree work as they do in every other walk of life/work.

I'm saying the emphasis should be on reducing risk and having good emergency procedures in place, instead of over equiping ourselves for situations that shouldn't be occuring.

I've not looked at the recent pictures on here as I'm not a fan of looking at stuff like that, I can deal with emergencies really well but usually have signs of shock after, so I would not make a good paramedic etc. so I choose not to look at accident pictures.

I'm sure they show many accidents that could have been prevented, and I'm also sure that in each case the casualty is still with us, having recieved minor first aid and then proffessional help.

If I'm wrong and the pictures show arterial bleeds where the casualty died because the first aid kit wasn't big enough then I'm just doubley glad I didn't look at the pictures!!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kit is called 'ArbAid' right......

We should see this as a positive move towards the industry developing an 'Arboricultural First Aid' NPTC certificate which takes into account the specific needs of wounded arborists.

Just an idea.

Edited by scotspine1

No Tim, I don't think its a positive move to seperate our industry from all others. That is a backward step IMO.

We are just a trade industry, no different from any other, builders carpenters etc. all use power tools and have exposure to potential accidents.

If we think that we should be moved to a special catogory, where we think paramedics are not good enough for us because we are so dangerouse and at such high risk then the HSE will take extra steps to bring us back in line with everybody else. Which is what has happened already and we don't need any more restrictions.

They wanted to ban top handles a while back, but extensive re writting of best practices along wth improved training for work positioning has shown the HSE that we are capable of reducing the risk to an acceptable amount and therefore remian under the same headign as other trades and work places.

An insistance that we are special and need extra protection from the very serious dangers we face everyday and the near death experinces of being a bloke up a tree will only hold us back IMO.

First aid at work regualations include us, and we shoudl keep it that way.

Edited by Rupe

rupe,

what has reducing risks got anything to with having a high spec first aid kit.

Because that is what is required from us, having a high spec first aid kit is not required.

You could drive your car at 120mph everywhere and its ok cos you have a high spec first aid kit for when you crash, or reduce your speed and drive safely and carry a normal first aid kit just in case.

again u r missing the point,,,,,, reducing ur speed will not stop all accidents, the question is Rupe if and when an accident does happen would u prefer to have a high spec first aid and does the cost justify it.

u can cover all the risks in ur risk/method statements but unfortunatley they still happen

We are just a trade industry, no different from any other, builders carpenters etc.

Arboriculture is different from the other jobs you mention. As a company owner whose been climbing and working in the industry for years surely you recognise it's a special job, that requires unique skills? so why shouldn't employees be trained in the use of a trauma kit - another unique skill that could make the difference between a workmate living or dying?

A comprehensive first aid kit is a good thing to have but it is only as good as the person using it. Saving a life is not about being trained to use a trauma kit, it’s about being trained to save a life.

Consider the man trained in the use of a trauma kit deprived of his kit by virtue of the vehicle it is in not being on site (bad planning or whatever), what is he gunna do, flap or improvise?

As Rupe says planning is the way to go. It’s what the HSE espouse. Reacting with a comprehensive kit is good but planning the accident out of your work is better, clearly you can’t plan all accidents out but a lot of stuff that gets called accident is an incident that could have been avoided.

Arb is a high risk job but no more so than many other professions. There is plenty of stuff on a building site that can kill or maim you but most sites are regulated by a safety officer who makes people work in a safe manner

I carry celox! If the first thing i did was chuck a packet on a cut artery it probably would not be a good thing??

Your supposed to let it bleed out for 60 seconds so that blood pressure is reduced and the celox will then have a better chance of staying put.

Takes some bottle to let 60 seconds worth of blood pee down the drive :001_smile:

I dont know why, but I have never paniced orflapped when at an accident scene, even when I come down out the mewp and the bloke in with me was badly injured. Everything just seems to calm right down and I can think really clearly, it's as though things go into slow motion.

The guy in with me was conscious but couldn't breath, he was turning blue, I put it down to he was badly winded or had broke ribs, which he had. He then went into shock and started frigging about on the floor, even that didn't phase me :confused1:

I hope when I come a cropper I dont end up getting a flapper helping because quite honestly your better off without :001_smile:

One minute is a long time to think, use it