Unimog U900. How many of you use them?

njc110381

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Fellas,

Been out of the forum for a while. This season has brought alot of growth to my firm. It started with a 30 ton 3 point splitter. Then came a second U900, this one is the ag spec with three way tipper, 3 point hitch in the rear, and the soft and hard top. Also came with the factory bed extensions, which will be excellent for large loads. I picked up a second chipper as well, the same Valby / Farmi brand, although this one doesn't have the hyd. feed wheels.

I realized that, however the U900 can carry implements, I still needed a dedicated chip truck, so this was the obvious answer. I need new tires for the second one now, and just missed an ebay listing error where come 14.5 contis went for $100!! i am still kicking myself!!!

I wondered how the Hiab is mounted in the back of the U900, and if you could post some new pics of the mounting. The one thing I see as a potential problem with use is the high bed, and being rough on your back, so the hiab is next on my list. I have a short bed that I could also use, and mount the hiab behind the cab, and have outriggers, etc. It all depends on whats available here. Also, does that U900 have the belly pump for the hiab demands, or is it run off the front / rear circuits?

I agree with stephen about them having little issues if they sit, like mine have this warm season. (Only because they are being set aside by me until all the necessary maintenance is taken care of). But I used the Orange on to pick up the second chipper from where it was delivered, and upon my return, a caliper started leaking, so i attributed it to its lack of running this season so far.

Final pic is not my U900, but I like this color combo, and am considering this for the respray on both machines, once all the other maintenance is taken care of. One question I have is, do all you Unimog owners do your own maintenance, or hire it out to a professional? I have interviewed 2 different mechanics and am likely giving them the responsibility so its done correctly, the first time! (Im mechanical minded, but not a mechanic!)!

Cheers!!

ACUF

IMG_1757.jpg.f6fd189c250786d804a17105fd526920.jpg

IMG_5019.jpg.a3a72703e84a870f6c07734e4cea308b.jpg

IMG_5022.jpg.acb2bbf565579bbeb70d9fb8a0bbac44.jpg

CIMG1645.jpg.e4d8392debeba415323c0ed609026f85.jpg

i do most of my own repairs to my 900 if theres anything really tricky i have retired hgv mechanic 200metres from my house who has helped out on fixing a few problems as for a hiab i think if it to have hydraulic legs you will need to power it from a seperate pump as the 900 wont carry enough oil for it to work properly.

Thanks for the reply niftysteve. Will you post some pics of how your hiab is mounted? So you are running this style crane of the on board, 11gpm system? This is the type I could really use. I just dont see how you could have good use of the tipper, but am curious to see how it was mounted either way. I really like the color of green yours has.

ACUF

Thanks for the reply niftysteve. Will you post some pics of how your hiab is mounted? So you are running this style crane of the on board, 11gpm system? This is the type I could really use. I just dont see how you could have good use of the tipper, but am curious to see how it was mounted either way. I really like the color of green yours has.

ACUF

i sold the tipper ram as i would never use it there are 2 van vaults mounted in the body behind the cab, the crane is mounted ona 25mm plate which has 90mm channel either side . we then welded the channel to the X frame and made to plates that connect it to the pivot point at the rear of the chassis. this crane will lift 2 ton close in. i usually use it for lifting bulk sand bags (approx 800kg)it lifts these with no stabilizers no probs. heres a pic of it lifting a full size steam engine wheel

5976588a00cf9_digicam134.jpg.df7ebcd7f4c3058214b8f1c5bbf12fa7.jpg