How do you lube up

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dust and grit will be in there too, you just cant see it.

Unless grease is in a sealed enviroment, it will pick up grit blown about by the wind and then act as a grinding paste.

It is now recommend for telehandlers, mewps or anything with a boom or slider to not use grease and use dry lube therefore doubling the life of the nylon bearing plates

If you got some of your grease and put in under a microscope it would look like someone had stuck a minature quarry in there :laugh1:

But Dean most of us are using grease and have no problems you are using that other stuff and yours has worn out...........................

I have only started to use it on the splitter, it was chris sheps machine I dont know what he used on it

I already know the benefits of using dry lube which is PTFE and graphite based, ptfe is a huge amount better, slippier and has a better compressive lube properties than grease, but doesn't pick up grit like grease

You only have to look at carbon brushes in your drill to see the properties of graphite, the linear footage covered by the brushes over a copper surface spinning at 30,000rpm must be thousands of miles

I would have thought that the tolerances on a splitter wouldnt be small enough to cause a big problem with grinding paste type grease. Also the large gaps might suit grease a bit better since it probably cushions any impacts. Therefore grease might be better than a thin coat of PTFE spray.

Which reminds me, I better lube up our splitter tbh since I dunno the last time it was done.:blushing:

But Dean most of us are using grease and have no problems you are using that other stuff and yours has worn out...........................

:lol: That did cross my mind Dave. i use good owd axle grease aswell with no problems.

The tolerances on the splitter are huge, hence me modifying it.

The side sliders have a gap of something like 3mm which seems really sloppy, I'm making new bushings to bring it down to 1mm play.

The problem with allowing too much gap is when it twists to take up the play it ends up running on the very edges of the bushings, tighten up the tolerances and it runs on the whole surface of the bush spreading the forces over a larger area, so increasing the service life

I've used dry lube on the mewp from new and there is no visible wear whatsoever