Towing restrictions

John Hancock

When I started at Connick 8 or 9 years ago I had no experience diriving trucks or towing trailers. I'd towed a boat a handful of times in my landy.

There were loads of young lads there who drove cabstars with 6 inch chippers every day. But I with my pre 97 licence and no experience got to drive the new canter with the big new chipper.. Navigating round Londons busy residential streeets... So there are firms out there who will give someone who doesn't have a clue a 20K chipper and truck..

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you dont have your trailer license you can still drive with more than 750kg as a learner as such so with someone else who has it. I can also tow the 1 tonne chipper so long as the weight of that and the load on the van isnt more than 3500kg and over the maximum load weight of the van. So bacically I can tow the chipper just with an empty van. this is what i have read from an Ifor Williams leaflet.

if you dont have your trailer license you can still drive with more than 750kg as a learner as such so with someone else who has it. I can also tow the 1 tonne chipper so long as the weight of that and the load on the van isnt more than 3500kg and over the maximum load weight of the van. So bacically I can tow the chipper just with an empty van. this is what i have read from an Ifor Williams leaflet.

Jay, I'd like to hear Peters opinion on that but I don't agree! The van would have to be plated at 2500kg Gross for you to tow a 1000kg chipper. If your pulled the ministry Should go on plated weights and you have the potential to exceed your licence

So in other words about as much use as a chocolate tea pot:wave:

Most excellent post by Peter.

I will reiterate the main point - Young workers coming into this industry should view a C1+E as important as a handfull of NPTC's.

I cannot believe how many people I hear whinging about these restrictions, whilst happily forking out for First aid tickets, Chipper tickets, saw tickets, Climbing tickets, rescue tickets, Saw use in a tree, crown reduction, sectional dismantling, big tree felling, even windblow and hung up tree tickets. And thats before we talk about NVQ's, RFS, Tech cert etc.

A good HGV driver will save and earn your company thousands...

I totally agree. If a lad came to me for interview and he held C1+E he’d be on top of my pile straight away! Maybe the industry should be talking to the colleges. Its so important to come out of college as employable as possible, ANS C1+E would def. make you employable…

Dead right Matt.

Remember, the only figure that matters is the MAM. Maximum Authorised Mass, ie what it says on the plate.

You could be towing an empty 2 tonne trailer with a 3.5 tonne truck, and even though the combined weight may only be say 4 tonnes, you are still exceeding the limitations of your cat B licence.

Dont believe any of the bull your employers will tell you to get you to do what they want you to, find out for yourself how the law stands, and stick to it. Your driving license is your livelihood, even if your employer pays the fines, you still get the points.

It is high time that all this stuff is dragged out of the cupboard and made public knowledge.

I totally agree. If a lad came to me for interview and he held C1+E he’d be on top of my pile straight away! Maybe the industry should be talking to the colleges. Its so important to come out of college as employable as possible, ANS C1+E would def. make you employable…

The lad that replaced me at Stockport council had his basic chainsaw tickets, no arb experience, and his C+E. They picked him because it was easier and cheaper to stump up for his CS 38 and 39 than pay for the driving lessons!

The lad that replaced me at Stockport council had his basic chainsaw tickets, no arb experience, and his C+E. They picked him because it was easier and cheaper to stump up for his CS 38 and 39 than pay for the driving lessons!

Its not just the cost of getting CI+E, I hear the failure rate is very high! So I can understand why you got **** on.

I've lifted this off the DVLA web site...

'Subcategory C1: Medium sized goods vehicles 3.5 - 7.5 tonnes MAM

Subcategory C1 vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM allowing a combination of up to 8.25 tonnes MAM. But unlike category B, the 750kgs MAM trailer weight limit is an absolute limit.

In order to gain this entitlement category B licence holders have to meet higher medical standards and pass both theory and practical tests for subcategory C1.

Subcategory C1+E: Medium sized goods vehicles 3.5 - 7.5 tonnes MAM plus trailer over 750kgs MAM

Subcategory C1+E allows vehicles to be combined with a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the combination does not exceed 12 tonnes MAM and the laden weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle.

In order to gain this entitlement category B licence holders have to pass further tests - subcategory C1 (theory and practical) followed by C1+E practical. There is no subcategory C1+E theory test. It will not be possible to go directly from category B to subcategory C1+E.

Because EC regulations limit drivers aged under 21 years to driving vehicles or combinations which weigh no more than 7.5 tonnes MAM, drivers under the age of 21 are not allowed to drive subcategory C1+E vehicles up to 12 tonnes MAM. But 18 year old drivers are allowed to take a test for subcategory C1+E which will allow trailers in excess of 750kgs MAM to be towed. Entitlement is limited to a combination weight of 7.5 tonnes MAM until the driver reaches 21 years, at which time the balance of 12 tonnes MAM entitlement automatically becomes effective'.

Just so we know.

The failure rate is high because people underestimate the standard required by the test.

If you clip a kerb, roll back even slightly on a hill start, or forget to check a mirror a couple of times, you will fail.

With the correct tuition, the pass rate improves, as the HGV instructors really know their stuff, right down to the test routes used by the examiners.

When I started at Connick 8 or 9 years ago I had no experience diriving trucks or towing trailers. I'd towed a boat a handful of times in my landy.

There were loads of young lads there who drove cabstars with 6 inch chippers every day. But I with my pre 97 licence and no experience got to drive the new canter with the big new chipper.. Navigating round Londons busy residential streeets... So there are firms out there who will give someone who doesn't have a clue a 20K chipper and truck..

As i said before in a different post i past my driving test one day and the next i was driving a big u1650 unimog funny laws .:fisheye: