health and safety a controversial subject?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about natural fracture pruning and increased injury risks?

maybe not sure. you do need a sufficient amount of weight in the wood to get a satisfactory tear. wouldn't be a very long topic though. rigging is an issue, i'm just after having a rigging accident and won't be climbing for at least 2 weeks. but whats your controversial alternative hand holding everything? thats not feasible. i think PPE issues is the best one

Hi Hamadryad 'et al', apologies I haven't read the above posts in detail as I'm a bit 'under the cosh' at the moment but here's a few thoughts (not sure they'll meet Rupe's definition of controversial(?) tho...bl**dy boffin!)

- MEWPs 'v' climber is a good one already mentioned

- Work positioning requirement for 2 'load bearing' anchor points, i.e. W@H Regs. (still not fully resolved although most don't!)

- Refresher/update training and requirement to updates old NPTC units 20,21 & 22, i.e. 'yes', refsreer training is required BUT 'new(er)' NPTCs???

- Climbing helmets...do we really need them?

- Manual Handling assessments (already mentioned) are they appropriate for our industry

- a little unrelated but 'waste carriers licence'...should we have to have them?

Sorry, just quick thoughts as I press on...good luck!

Paul

Work positioning requirement for 2 'load bearing' anchor points is a good one, does that mean two attachments when using a saw or all the time? Using a saw, well then that's fair enough most of the time but sometimes one attachment is safer in certain situations and I believe it says that in the good climbing practice?

Refresher training? I have to do that to satisfy a local authority to be on their approved list, I don't know how much it's going to cost yet but hey, I will jump through those hoops if It means will gain more work from them.

Helmets? yes, chainsaw boots? Not always necessary, chainsaw gloves? Waste of time!

what happened

took a hell of a swing on monday and let out an almighty cry the lads thought i'd broken my back(maybe i just overreacted). taking down these three willows by a river for the day. using the central tree to rig off and anchor off. one of the willows was this pole that leaned out over the river. so i climbed up it using my anchor point from the other tree. climbed two thirds up put a rigging line on. but it was really gusty and couldn't decide whether to go with the wind or the lean(went with the lean). took my side strop off in case it went across me (still undecided whether it would have been better to leave it on or not). i cut it a big gust came picked it up twisted it around snapping it's hinge then threw it across my main line and ripped me from my tree into the trunk of the main tree. impacting the side of my knee rupturing my LCL ligament. off for an mri today

took a hell of a swing on monday and let out an almighty cry the lads thought i'd broken my back(maybe i just overreacted). taking down these three willows by a river for the day. using the central tree to rig off and anchor off. one of the willows was this pole that leaned out over the river. so i climbed up it using my anchor point from the other tree. climbed two thirds up put a rigging line on. but it was really gusty and couldn't decide whether to go with the wind or the lean(went with the lean). took my side strop off in case it went across me (still undecided whether it would have been better to leave it on or not). i cut it a big gust came picked it up twisted it around snapping it's hinge then threw it across my main line and ripped me from my tree into the trunk of the main tree. impacting the side of my knee rupturing my LCL ligament. off for an mri today

Sounds scary mate. Or maybe you are exaggerating and it was just a little swing and you are a big girl.:001_tt2: Hope it gets better soon.

how about natural fracture pruning, veteranising, leaving stubs...the whole environmental arb side of things...I know a lot of people who don't like it!.

Also, crown reduction - is it really necessary?...shouldn't we be thinning trees instead?...now thats controversial...we all need the money from reductions!