Arborist are we skilled or semi skilled

BTS

It depends what practical experience you've had. If you've been taught outdated methods by someone, never been near a college and never sought out newer techniques or research in tree biology and pruning: you could have 30 years practical experience, but it would count for nothing.

Bollox mate. Classrooms are a way of condensing a lifetimes learning and experience into a nice easily packaged and very accessible format. Study books are the result of years of experience being collated and presented. :001_smile:

'maker'???????

do you mean builder...

And there are many different levels of stone waller mate, some being very skilled, some what one would call stone stackers:001_tt2:

I must admit, Ive done abit of "stone stacking" in my time :blushing: and hats off to the skilled stone wallers, :thumbup1:

I mean if you learned tecniques 30 years ago eg cleaning out cavities with belt sanders, slapping on wound paint etc. Then didn't learn any newer techniques or methods of working since, then those 30 years would count for nothing as they would be 3 decades behind the times.

I think that you are presenting a somewhat flawed argument Jon. Do you honestly believe that it would be possible to work for nearly a working lifetime and be that set in your ways as to not at least hear of, let alone implement, newer techniques, especially in an industry geared towards the care of something. I believe that it would be nigh on impossible to do even 10 years in this industry without meeting like minded and similarly employed people, and the inevitable discussions that would ensue from said meetings (such as in equipment suppliers even!!) would hence ensure a modecom of learning at least, rendering it impossible to stay in an outdated rut, such as that of which you imply.:001_smile:

Totally agree Stevie :congrats:

They do get to put a couple of letters after their name though :001_rolleyes:

Tbh that comment reads to me that putting letters after your name is pointless and that hose who do are muppets.

Not my line of thinking but it looks like thats what your arguing over. :001_smile:

Anyway back on topic, of course its a skilled job thats why younger people are better at it, older ones are pooh and its not worth bothering starting in this game if your over 30,oh and because it so highly skilled we should all have chainsaw licenses that are controlled by the government which would also include a WCL and because of our training and top skill we wouldnt need to bother with LOLER, PUWER or re taking our license's every 5 years.:thumbup1:

There thats all my posts for the next week sorted.

I think that you are presenting a somewhat flawed argument Jon. Do you honestly believe that it would be possible to work for nearly a working lifetime and be that set in your ways as to not at least hear of, let alone implement, newer techniques, especially in an industry geared towards the care of something. I believe that it would be nigh on impossible to do even 10 years in this industry without meeting like minded and similarly employed people, and the inevitable discussions that would ensue from said meetings (such as in equipment suppliers even!!) would hence ensure a modecom of learning at least, rendering it impossible to stay in an outdated rut, such as that of which you imply.:001_smile:

actualy tommer, I do know a guy who is so old skool its a joke, absolutley point blank refuses to acknowledge how much time i save him when free lancing with modern pulleys bull ropes and slings capstan etc.

he still uses an old harness and one of those spiky old black flecked ropes over the forks for his own work! and hes been at it nigh on 40 years!

Tbh that comment reads to me that putting letters after your name is pointless and that hose who do are muppets.

It would do if I hadn't put :congrats:and agreed with stevie, that people who study deserve more recognition.

Think about it, it's not rocket science.... Why would I praise in one sentence then slag off in the next ??

actualy tommer, I do know a guy who is so old skool its a joke, absolutley point blank refuses to acknowledge how much time i save him when free lancing with modern pulleys bull ropes and slings capstan etc.

he still uses an old harness and one of those spiky old black flecked ropes over the forks for his own work! and hes been at it nigh on 40 years!

ahem:blushing: actually i can think of someone who is a little like that too. However he is still aware that modern techniques exist.:001_smile:

jon i think you have taken Deans post the wrong way and it has obviously hit a nerve with you, which is very easy done.:001_rolleyes: this little roll your eyes can only mean 1 thing to most, but we only have 15 of the little guys to choose from with out looking through hundreds in the MORE section, so we pick the face that is the closest to what we are wanting to get across. I get what Dean means and it certainly isnt making fun of anyone.:001_smile:

jon i think you have taken Deans post the wrong way and it has obviously hit a nerve with you, which is very easy done.:001_rolleyes: this little roll your eyes can only mean 1 thing to most, but we only have 15 of the little guys to choose from with out looking through hundreds in the MORE section, so we pick the face that is the closest to what we are wanting to get across. I get what Dean means and it certainly isnt making fun of anyone.:001_smile:

what happend to the Stephen that used to sit back and watch the fireworks! lmao:lol: