Arborist are we skilled or semi skilled

BTS

Out of interset do you guys think theres a significant distinction between arboriculture and tree surgery, only when i trained originally they tried to push the arb side as a way of elevating the industry away from 'tree cutter' reputations.

As i see it, day to day there aren't many differences.

Ian, are you familiar with the phrase, opening a can of worms?

I honestly dont know mate, Is there a difference? We have had all sorts of discussions on here about when you can call yourself a tree surgeon and how experienced do you have to be to call yourself an Arb. Then there are the qualifications, are you an arb with only NPTC qualifications. Maybe thats the answer, a tree cutter has all the tickets and an arb has all those plus a recognised academic qualification.

Your guess really is as good as mine mate.:thumbup1:

I guess at the end of the day you're only as good as your last job.

I'm sure we've all seen v poor work carried out by big AA approved consultants/contractors, but once left without supervision a company is at the mercy of its employees to maintain its reputation no matter how qualified they are!!

Out of interset do you guys think theres a significant distinction between arboriculture and tree surgery, only when i trained originally they tried to push the arb side as a way of elevating the industry away from 'tree cutter' reputations.

As i see it, day to day there aren't many differences.

arboriculture is the science of trees and tree surgery would be the craft. e.g horticulture is the study of plants while gardeners are the ones who tend to plants.

:ohmy:the thought of what you could do with a winch a felling bar and a leg sounds more suited to one of the SAW films

You have 30 mins to work out the force a 12 stone man places on his rig during a fall or i start winching:lol::lol:

Make any mistakes and ill get the felling bar:lol:

Hi all just had pay review at work they class arborists as semi skilled craftsman ( along with grass cutters etc) and not skilled, what are your thoughts on this i believe we are skilled.

Just for the record, this has been playing on my mind.

When I fell out with Rupe over the right / wrong thing in this thread, I wasn't happy at all with the way I conducted myself, and thought I looked a bit of a dick, as hamma pointed out. Was too busy to write an explanation at the time.

I read the above question as seeking advice on the official meaning of semi skilled verses skilled, from a local authority pay point of view. I gave my example of how they classed me in this respect when I was a welder in order to try to help out.

When I accused Rupe of being wrong, I didn't think that personal opinions were being asked for and that some kind of official definition was being requested.

So - it seems that personal opinions are being requested , so belated apology Rupe.

My post wasn't my personal opinion; it was my experience in another industry. My personal opinion is that it doesn't matter whether we are called skilled or unskilled; I'm too long in the tooth to really care.

I do care about the industry and my work, just don't care what people think. Rupe put this very well somewhere, so whatever he said on this is what I think too.

Just for the record, this has been playing on my mind.

When I fell out with Rupe over the right / wrong thing in this thread, I wasn't happy at all with the way I conducted myself, and thought I looked a bit of a dick, as hamma pointed out. Was too busy to write an explanation at the time.

I read the above question as seeking advice on the official meaning of semi skilled verses skilled, from a local authority pay point of view. I gave my example of how they classed me in this respect when I was a welder in order to try to help out.

When I accused Rupe of being wrong, I didn't think that personal opinions were being asked for and that some kind of official definition was being requested.

So - it seems that personal opinions are being requested , so belated apology Rupe.

My post wasn't my personal opinion; it was my experience in another industry. My personal opinion is that it doesn't matter whether we are called skilled or unskilled; I'm too long in the tooth to really care.

I do care about the industry and my work, just don't care what people think. Rupe put this very well somewhere, so whatever he said on this is what I think too.

Good on ya mate, theres no right or wrong answer on a thread like this though. :thumbup1:

He he there must be smoke pouring from Hama's ear muffs. :lol:

Anyway I've had a good long hard think about this thread and weighed up all the options, opinions and comments. I've come to the conclusion that my opinion is the best. :thumbup1:

God knows what it is though:confused1:

He he there must be smoke pouring from Hama's ear muffs. :lol:

Anyway I've had a good long hard think about this thread and weighed up all the options, opinions and comments. I've come to the conclusion that my opinion is the best. :thumbup1:

God knows what it is though:confused1:

My opinion is the best actually, so there:001_tt2: