How many trailers can you tow?

ukminch

yes mate due to passing my test after 97. was bloody easy really hardest bit was learning to drive properly again mirror signal maneovre etc!

I figured you probably must have,

I have been tempted but dont tow a bigger trailer often enough to merit it really, if i could find somewhere cheap to do it i may sort it this winter

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lantra are offering subsidised training. Remember Nathan from HA? He has his next week and its virtually all paid for. It cost me £320 for 1 days training then the test the following day.

I have just got off the phone to the DVLA and I have been told the following based on B+E entitlement:

"You can tow 2 trailers behind a vehicle as long as the combined weight off the trailers (laden or unladen) does not exceed the weight of the vehicle. The vehicle cannot exceed 3500kg either"

There was no mention of any other licences needed!

Off to get a tow hitch put on the back of the trailer!!

Just because the DVLA say you dont need an extra license for this it doesnt mean its legaL

VOSA, however, will not let you do this behind a Land Rover. One trailer cannot tow another. End of.

VOSA, however, will not let you do this behind a Land Rover. One trailer cannot tow another. End of.

Yes it can.

Not end of.

The towing trailer has to be design for its purpose (ie more of a towing implement than trailer) & in such a way that it takes the weight of the rear trailer & the rear trailer is designed to be towed in that manner. You do have to watch GTW, MAM or what ever its called now.

Under Regulation 83 of C&U a motor car is permitted to tow two trailers when one of them is a towing implement and the other is secured to and either rests on or is suspended from the implement.

See Item 7 PDF here

Now I hope that this finally put this to bed.

YES YOU CAN IF YOU FOLLOW THE RULES

End of.

I think thats more of a four wheel trailer arrangement, like a dolly and trailer.

I don't think you can put a towball on the back of a standard trailer and start towing a chipper behind that, within train weights or not.

18 Stoner has had first hand experience of what is, and isn't, allowed.

Yes it can.

Not end of.

The towing trailer has to be design for its purpose (ie more of a towing implement than trailer) & in such a way that it takes the weight of the rear trailer & the rear trailer is designed to be towed in that manner. You do have to watch GTW, MAM or what ever its called now.

See Item 7 PDF here

Now I hope that this finally put this to bed.

YES YOU CAN IF YOU FOLLOW THE RULES

End of.

read things befor you post :001_rolleyes:

SEE

7 A heavy motor car or a motor car not described in item 1, 3 or 4 = 2 trailers if one of them is a towing implement and part of the other is secured to and either rests on or is suspended from that implement

1 trailer in any other case

"4. Towing implements.

A ‘heavy motor car’ or ‘motor car’ (e.g. the motor vehicle forming part of an articulated vehicle) may only draw one trailer. The exception to this rule is that such a vehicle may draw two trailers in situations where one of the trailers is a towing implement and part of the other is secured to and rests on or is suspended from that implement.

A towing implement is defined in regulation 3 (of C&U) as: “a device on wheels designed for the purpose of enabling a motor vehicle to draw another vehicle by the attachment of that device to that other vehicle in such a manner that part of that other vehicle is secured to and either rests on or is suspended from the device and some but not all of the wheels on which that other vehicle normally runs are raised off the ground.”

Towing implements are a device constructed and used for the special purpose of vehicle recovery. In recognition of this, regulation 4(4), item 7 in the table, and regulation 4(5) of C&U provide exceptions for such devices from the full requirements of C&U. These exceptions allow the device to be constructed and used in such a way that enables the recovery of broken down vehicles."

a towing implement is a e.g. a towing dolly or simular ;)

In other cases when you cant read & understand rules & regs.

Read it fully & you will see that it says that if the first trailer is adapted.

Legally fitting a tow ball is an adaptation (see your insurance if you doubt this).

Is secured to, well you would wouldnt you.

Rests on, well all draw bars rest on the tow ball.

The bad bit is its for recovery.

Either way you would be mad to do it.

1, the amount of lost time on the side of the road with Police VOSA ect

2, the speed you can travel at is 20mph & 30mph on motorways

Ok, the way it was described to me was, if one trailer is suspended by another, or by the "tractor" it would become articulated. That is, it becomes one vehicle. That vehicle can then tow a trailer.

BUT, as i said before, one trailer cannot tow another.

It can carry one, but not tow one!

Your interpretation of a "towball" is slightly different to that of the DVLA!

Lantra are offering subsidised training. Remember Nathan from HA? He has his next week and its virtually all paid for. It cost me £320 for 1 days training then the test the following day.

Is Nathan living near Uttoxeter Max? im sure i have seen him in town a couple of times lately

If the rear trailer has a good portion (I think its counted as more than 20%) of its weight on the first trailer then the two trailers become "as one".

So adapt the first to take the fitting & weight distribution (as it would be behind the wheels) & adapt the second so the weight is further forward than in a normal trailer.

If you could only ever tow one trailer then in the section for cars it would just say

ONE

yet instead it says

2 trailers if one of them is a towing implement and part of the other is secured to and either rests on or is suspended from that implement

1 trailer in any other case

Ok one has to be classed as a towing implement so not all standard trailers can count but still the answer to the question how many trailer can a car tow is two if you follow the rules. If you cant meet the requirement of the rules then one.