Hamas big reduction/pruning thread!

Do you think that was that the intention? We'll have to wait for T&C's interpretation.

But following your train of thought removing inner crown growth (thinning)

in order to stimulate shoots from within:confused1:

Anyway it's a nice house (and tree!)

Tony didn't mention removing inner crown growth. Thinning's been mentioned which done properly means removing select branches from the tips allowing more light to the inner crown. Removal of all inner crown growth is known as lion tailing which is not a recommended practice.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Tony didn't mention removing inner crown growth. Thinning's been mentioned which done properly means removing select branches from the tips allowing more light to the inner crown. Removal of all inner crown growth is known as lion tailing which is not a recommended practice.

Species dependent of course, Although it's true Holm Oaks have next to no inner growth.

However I have never heard of thinning to create light in the inner crown, with the specific purpose of producing a secondary line to reduce to. (at a later date)

Would that be recommended practice?

just asking:001_smile:

Species dependent of course, Although it's true Holm Oaks have next to no inner growth.

However I have never heard of thinning to create light in the inner crown, with the specific purpose of producing a secondary line to reduce to. (at a later date)

Sorry, just commenting on thinning in general. You are right, a dense Holm Oak probably won't have a lot in inner growth.

I have on occasion done work with the intension of stimulating new growth or encouraging existing lower growth as being a future reduction point.

I'm sure it's a better method (for the tree) than just mullaring it in a oner.

With trees of this age and size. It is good practice (if the client is prepared to pay for it!) to reduce the tree in stages. Maybe four times to end up with a more natural look with as little impact on the tree as possible. By reducing / thinning the branches will let more light through to the next layer of the crown therefore releasing the dormant buds and in turn fresh new internal growth. Three years down the line this growth has grown to a point where a crown reduction is possible again. And so on. :thumbup1:

I have used the method many times to make a long term retrenchment program possible:thumbup1:

Oak and ash need lots of light, thinning or reducing the upper canopy enough allows light through to epicormics which then develop into useable frameworks for structural style crown modifications.

I have used the method many times to make a long term retrenchment program possible:thumbup1:

Oak and ash need lots of light, thinning or reducing the upper canopy enough allows light through to epicormics which then develop into useable frameworks for structural style crown modifications.

What sort of time scale are we guesstimating?

I don't suppose a serial clicker like you would have taken any pics?

I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one interested.

What sort of time scale are we guesstimating?

I don't suppose a serial clicker like you would have taken any pics?

I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one interested.

Its alwyas difficult in crown and working to get the sort of shots required BUT....

I do have enough to illustrate the point, I will have to use a lot of natural scenarios as examples too though. Its the sa\me process as after all that is what retrenchment/crown modifying is really trying to do. to stimulate/emulate natural crown retrenchment or "growing down" as Ted Green likes to call it.

look at these shots from this afternoon of an ash with typical inonotus hispidus induced induced retrenchment, self pollarding.

In the second image you can see that the newer smoother barked branches grew after the breakout, the larger vertical behind the newer epis to far right of image would have been an epicormic at the time, we imitate the fungi or branch loss when we prune and stimulate this kind of scenario. Forcing a new second crown to form, until like in the second shot we can now remove that tear section right back to the collar that is beginning to form right in front of the new brnach and secondary growths to the far right of image.

does this help picture what were trying to describe as procsess?

59766393e589a_essexveterANS058.jpg.7583f31883442ca7c01c813e15ea961a.jpg

59766393e419f_essexveterANS022.jpg.7ccce3ed66849593b4d2e5c001f20d80.jpg

59766393e226a_essexveterANS016.jpg.49a4e40393eb066db634d55f4760f1ec.jpg