Hamas big reduction/pruning thread!

I'm getting faster :biggrin:, just under 3 hours for these two. No before pics but I took about 6-8ft off the top and matched the sides in.

Drop zone was an old shed with a very sketchy roof and the tree on the left had 2 tin roof sheds either side aswell as the old shed.

Everything left on site, happy days!

Pleased with it

hope its ok to post these in here hamma......:biggrin: to late if it aint!:001_tt2:

don't really take many photos of my work but i really should take more.....

sub-contract small sycamore reduction, 25% to spec removed a couple of big hangers and a few bits of deadwood.......:001_smile:

03042012082.jpg.c3a756aa287e3406451f7b817a66086b.jpg

03042012086.jpg.e81613ce7ad79bb97f033c06b068d407.jpg

03042012085.jpg.8068fe8f7194d98d131a6af73dac2d27.jpg

03042012087.jpg.e043252c9939388a21263c28a4acff50.jpg

03042012076.jpg.5884d636b4719b2f8dd4f0e9758267e1.jpg

03042012075.jpg.3ea266993151723a8be696c052eef8c2.jpg

03042012083.jpg.e5e73e662dbdef7085e481e4dce8284c.jpg

03042012078.jpg.1fee7fe1dc91dffdaa57b614f4f9d94b.jpg

03042012074.jpg.cfc202207f143939f642530c8f136cbd.jpg

Did you remove the branch from that union?

Bet Duncan Slater would be interested in disecting that one, up at his 'clever clip' lab .

i did remove a hanger but from memory i did not recall anything in there, i just see it as i got to it mate, i would say i had dropped something on it and pushed it out??????

look strong and healthy enough well had all of 13 stone on it for about ten minutes so..........:biggrin:

whats the clever clip lab then mate.....:blushing:

Sorry to crash this party late: prompted to drop in by David's UKTC post. Re: Pruning Induced Stress

I just cannot believe how depressed it makes me feel to see that we're still even discussing this. Yes: lots of very impressive artistic work, paying the bills for many of us hard-working, decent people. However, how much was scientifically necessary? How many trees do we continue to degrade unnecessarily? If it REALLY needs pruning, have you got the right tree, in the right place, for the right reasons? Just think what we could quote for a take-down and replant?!

If you doubt me, you MUST receive VTA training that includes David's "Pruned to Death?" presentation. Utterly compelling.

To begin with, may I refer any sceptics to Shigo, Lonsdale, Mattheck and the new BS 3998. Pruning = damage. Trees never heal. Humans may benefit as a result of tree pruning, but only sometimes...

In my job, I continue to see dreadful work, and many totally unnecessary surgical interventions. The general public continue to refuse to believe that pruning isn't the answer: "don't get me wrong - we love trees. Why can't you just cut half off, like that one over there?"

I fear our grandchildren may think of us like we think of Tudor surgeons and Victorian chimney sweeps. "Good heavens, Grandpa! Did you really climb trees on a rope with a fossil fuel chainsaw and cut big bits off? Why?"

Beer is the answer. Peace; out.

Sorry to crash this party late: prompted to drop in by David's UKTC post. Re: Pruning Induced Stress

I just cannot believe how depressed it makes me feel to see that we're still even discussing this. Yes: lots of very impressive artistic work, paying the bills for many of us hard-working, decent people. However, how much was scientifically necessary? How many trees do we continue to degrade unnecessarily? If it REALLY needs pruning, have you got the right tree, in the right place, for the right reasons? Just think what we could quote for a take-down and replant?!

If you doubt me, you MUST receive VTA training that includes David's "Pruned to Death?" presentation. Utterly compelling.

To begin with, may I refer any sceptics to Shigo, Lonsdale, Mattheck and the new BS 3998. Pruning = damage. Trees never heal. Humans may benefit as a result of tree pruning, but only sometimes...

In my job, I continue to see dreadful work, and many totally unnecessary surgical interventions. The general public continue to refuse to believe that pruning isn't the answer: "don't get me wrong - we love trees. Why can't you just cut half off, like that one over there?"

I fear our grandchildren may think of us like we think of Tudor surgeons and Victorian chimney sweeps. "Good heavens, Grandpa! Did you really climb trees on a rope with a fossil fuel chainsaw and cut big bits off? Why?"

O Dear...........:blushing:

i'll say it once more and last time.......

if you can find any evidence of if its good or if its bad then you are worth millions, the answer to your post is there is no right or wrong there are no unjustified or justifiable reason for any tree work for that matter.......leave them alone lets all pack up now......:sneaky2:

take them down and replant?????? that is being a little eccentric don't you think........20,30,60,100,300 years of living breathing tissue and your answer is just fell it and replant??????

OK....:001_rolleyes:

Brilliant! funniest thing I've seen on here in ages:thumbup:

I KNOW for a certainty that none of those people you quote would rather see a tree felled than reduced well(as opposed to badly/pollard is another option lets not get involved)

It is this very narrow minded approach that results in many fine trees being removed from the urban landscape and replaced with (if we are lucky) small trees that wont survive in most cases.

I am afraid I cannot share your view, nor anyone elses who thinks that this is the wrong approach, or rather that whenever humans have a conflict with trees we should fell them and replace that big old beech with an ornamental cherry!

Your post has just made me realise/reminded me how desperately needed a shift in thinking is needed. If felling is to become or has become an accepted method of dealing with the conflicts then its time i started making a fuss and shouting the odds.:001_tt2:

Trees do not mind being pruned well, the are shedding organisms, no they do not heal they seal, but if we are to be told that small pruning wounds are such an evil I will tell you now anyone believing that has never really empathised or appreciated the full growth cycle and ecology of trees.

and certainly has no power or influence over my thinking, no, youll just have to try harder.:001_smile: