Hamas big reduction/pruning thread!

Much better Tone, but that tree wasn't a shite-bag in the first place like the one Nathan raped!

not quiet as bad, no, but I could of done a lot with Nathans tree, and this one i did today shows whats possible.

sorry Mark I will sek out a more realistic comparisom:001_rolleyes:

not quiet as bad, no, but I could of done a lot with Nathans tree, and this one i did today shows whats possible.

neat work there indeed ,was working with robert mills today ,he said he knows you hamma

Thanks guys for some good advice I'm still learning and this will help with me progressing I will continue to take pictures to show my improvement ready to be slated or loved let's hope For the best.

Pics are the way forward mate , I try and document all reductions now..that way I can learn from my mistakes . But my biggest learning curve was watching nature naturally retrench trees try and copy this and you learn what's best IMO for the tree,oh and reading shigo, nature does not hat rack trees!!

Take a walk in some big parks or as a passenger in a car on a long journey look at every tree aling the road side.

There is a lot to be learnt and i don't want to come across as an arogant no all as I learn more every day about trees and the whole point of Hamas thread and trying to show how it should be done! I very much agree with.

Thanks guys for some good advice I'm still learning and this will help with me progressing I will continue to take pictures to show my improvement ready to be slated or loved let's hope For the best.

Nathan, were not here to slate anyone, least not those looking for help or advice. I only got a bit less than diplomatic cos I had too, youve a thick skin dude!:biggrin:

it takes guts to put your work in a place like this, so fair play, we/I only wanna help you and hope you dont take too much offence in my approach!:lol:

Pics are the way forward mate , I try and document all reductions now..that way I can learn from my mistakes . But my biggest learning curve was watching nature naturally retrench trees try and copy this and you learn what's best IMO for the tree,oh and reading shigo, nature does not hat rack trees!!

Take a walk in some big parks or as a passenger in a car on a long journey look at every tree aling the road side.

There is a lot to be learnt and i don't want to come across as an arogant no all as I learn more every day about trees and the whole point of Hamas thread and trying to show how it should be done! I very much agree with.

:thumbup1:

As if by magic, today I had an opportunity to help Nathan out with a like for like example, treecreeper you'll hopefully appreciate this one too. the images do not really do the amount that came out justice, but basicaly Nathan, this is what a VERY hard reduction could of should have looked like in your case. This is drop crotching, the way its done to keep within the recomended thirds (branch cut back to at least a third the diameter of that removed)

one of the stems removed was 20ft plus long! I wouldnt go that hard normaly but if you have to, then I hope this gives a sample of what can be done when were in a corner and gotta do what the client asks.:thumbup1:

[ATTACH]86969[/ATTACH][ATTACH]86970[/ATTACH]

I would be happy if I was the customer, a much more natural finish than Nathans with no doubt. Unfortunately I don't get a lot of opportunity to do sympathetic reductions, it's generally either removal of bloody awful dangerous trees or creating bloody awful trees :thumbdown:

Still, I push the alternative more and more when I can.

Back to your latest reduction:

-What percentage of leaf area do you reckon you have removed there? Got to be 70% but yet the previous one must have been more (it had been done before?)

Thankfully the BS3998:2010 is a recommendation, allowing some leeway between management objectives and decent work, otherwise that tree would probably have hit the deck.

-As well as maintaining some energy and hormone producing growth the main benefit is the strength of those secondary branches will be much greater than the epicormic growth that will arise from stub cuts on a topping, but there is going to be decay at those reduction cuts.

-Out of interest, have you estimated the cross sectional area of all those cuts, as per 3998?

- Have you ever had wind damage to retained branches after doing a reduction like that? There is bound to be more movement in them now.

Not meant to be critical, just thinking out load really, trying to learn.

You know your class:thumbup1:

Nathan, were not here to slate anyone, least not those looking for help or advice. I only got a bit less than diplomatic cos I had too, youve a thick skin dude!:biggrin:

it takes guts to put your work in a place like this, so fair play, we/I only wanna help you and hope you dont take too much offence in my approach!:lol:

Don't forget, some of us don't always prescribe the work we do and can't change the advice of a head strong "superior" or go and undermine them with the client!

I do not take this personally and I would love to learn from you guys here as well and learn the biology behind why trees do what when they have been pruned and I hope the more I do the better I will be at making good judgement behind each indvidual tree