Ecofan

david

I have this 3 bladed fan in our current house and it works well but took some time to get the best location and direction for the fan. The room is 10m long with standard height ceilings. We have a Morso owl stove and it looks good with the fan.

In our previous house the fan spent most of the time in the box as it made no difference where it was placed although the room was a lot smaller and the stove located in a smaller fireplace.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't quite understand Midway. What difference does the size of the room make when the fan is sending out warm air into what ever space you've got?

Ceiling height is also important. A friend of mine puts them on stoves in narrowboats, no fan and only the first 15-20 feet is heated, put a fan in and the entire 40 feet of boat is warm.

A

I am afraid it does, the smaller 2 bladed model (E800) does need 9.25" of clearance between the top of the stove and the bottom of the chimney opening or the bottom chimney sealing plate.

A

A:

If I was to fashion a shelf immediately behind the burner to give that extra 1/2" clearance would the fan work at all? I'm aware that hot air convection from the top of the burner is what makes it all happen but was wondering if the loss of convection via such a device would make the exercise pointless.

Jon

hi david

as to your original question yes they are worth it! the room we have the wood burner in is not big at all but in the depths of winter with the ecofan the house stays hot, before the fan only the room with wood burner in and the very top of the house stayed warm. Go for the three blade well worth it IMO!!

A:

If I was to fashion a shelf immediately behind the burner to give that extra 1/2" clearance would the fan work at all? I'm aware that hot air convection from the top of the burner is what makes it all happen but was wondering if the loss of convection via such a device would make the exercise pointless.

Jon

No it wont work.

The fan needs to sit directly on top of the stove. It has a metal base, a sandwich element and a metal top. The temperature difference between the metal on top and the metal below the element creates a current which drives the fan via a small motor.

Having said that I suppose if the shelf was steel or cast iron it might work after a fashion, just depends how hot the shelf would get. Dont forget the minimum combustible clearance above most stoves is 600mm so no wooden mounting brackets etc.

A

Edited by Alycidon

I am a local agent for Ecofan.

Please be aware that fake chinese copies of Ecofans have recently been found in the UK,

http://www.ecofan.co.uk/fake-ecofans.html

the genuine importer is Calfire Ltd, you should be able to find your local stockist here:

Ecofan - Find Eco fan stockists through the UK distributor

A

A

Mate, that is the worst web site I have seen in a long time! The font makes it really hard to read to the point I gave up!

Like the idea just don't like the site!

No it wont work.

The fan needs to sit directly on top of the stove. It has a metal base, a sandwich element and a metal top. The temperature difference between the metal on top and the metal below the element creates a current which drives the fan via a small motor.

Having said that I suppose if the shelf was steel or cast iron it might work after a fashion, just depends how hot the shelf would get. Dont forget the minimum combustible clearance above most stoves is 600mm so no wooden mounting brackets etc.

A

Thanks. I knew I was clutching at straws somewhat but I may give it a go if I can fix up a heavy enough ledge - something that stands a chance of building up some heat.

Cheers,

Jon

hi david

as to your original question yes they are worth it! the room we have the wood burner in is not big at all but in the depths of winter with the ecofan the house stays hot, before the fan only the room with wood burner in and the very top of the house stayed warm. Go for the three blade well worth it IMO!!

Thats why I bought one. My fire heats up my living room kitchen and front room which all lead into each other but I want to get the heat moving around the house quicker (i.e. rather than waiting for heat to build up).