first rope advice

ecolojim

alright guys,

finally took the plunge and ordered my first rope. decided on balance going half inch was the best option. cost was quite an issue to me, but not at the expense of buying something unsafe. after some careful deliberation and some recommendations from climbers, i ordered yale xtc-12 at a very good price for 120' and have now (my order hasnt been delivered yet, might not have been even dispatched yet) found a slightly shorter length of marlow gecko for slightly cheaper from the same retailer with a stitched eye rather than the yale certified and logged splice.

now the xtc-12 came well recommended, but have i cocked up here? Ive not been able to speak to anyone as yet who has used the marlow gecko. I know marlow make good strong lines for other purposes, but that is secondary to how well the gecko wears, handles, works with a friction hitch etc.

all input welcome. I MIGHT be able to change my order in the morning if i need to.

thanks

Jim

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We sell the Marlow and Yale products, used to sell the XTC-12, both are good the XTC-12 has a hollow core and as far as i knew the XTC-12 was not coming into this country any more. We don't get any complaints from

the Marlow rope and we've sold 100's of them. Hope this helps.

buy any rope as long as its not new england hi Vee .

I love my XTC I have had several, but get one with the eye in the end, not just a cut length.

I also use a short marlow for little trees. I'm not up with the rapid sporty climbers so as long as it holds a knot its good.

There is a big difference between XTC 12 and XTC.

Saying that though I found XTC 12 quite soft and flexible, knots well and long lasting, its just a bit old school.

I found Marlow a little hard and inflexible, which got worse with use compared to XTC, which meant it did'nt knot to well.

Saying that though I always tied a bowline and never felt unsafe and the rope lasted me well.

If I had a choice now i'd go for XTC for a 1/2 inch line.

Really at the end of the day all climbing rope does the job, so don't get to hung up on it.

If you really hate it buy another in a years time, and either use the XTC 12 for crappy tree's, as a litght lowering line, or cut it into 2 short lengths for small trees.

Can't say I can tell the difference really, I'm too busy concentrating on positioning myself within the tree and finding safe anchor points, inspecting crotches as I climb.:up:

A climbing rope is a climbing rope in my veiw, it's only when you take a fall will you be able to tell whether its a bit better in terms of absorbing your kinetic energy :wave:

thankyou all, that's put my mind at ease, I'll not change the order and await the xtc-12 then.

for anyone who was interested, its coming from Abbey Pro, they have a limited amout of XTC-12 left so mine is the 37m with a spliced eye.

I can appreciate a rope is a rope is a rope to an extent and that I will soon be far more intent on my positioning etc, but I, like most/all new guys want to get things as right as i can in the first place.

Jim:)